Chapter 54: Just Like Heaven

The morning rolls around. I'm up and at the kitchen table eating toast and eggs like I haven't eaten in weeks. Which, in a way is true. I didn't feel off, but I did feel a little strange. Light-headed kind of strange, but other than that I feel alive and ready to work. There is no nagging at the back of my mind or anything weighing me down, I finally feel okay.

"Maybe he finally reached his breaking point." I hear Riley whisper to Alex.

The two gossip in hushed tones as if they weren't sitting at the exactly same table as me. I shove the rest of my third egg into my mouth and begin on my fourth one. I slather a third piece of toast in strawberry jam. I gulp down more cooled herbal tea and honey blend to wash down the food.

"Nah, that's not it. When I woke up he was already in the shower whistling a perky tune. Maybe it's possession." Alex suggests, squinting at me.

I snort, nearly choking on a piece of toast. I swig another mouthful of tea.

"Did you two have sex last night?" Riley asks casually. This time I actually do choke on my food. My face heats up all over.

"Shut up, I can hear both of you." I take my last bite and rinse my plate in the sink.

I throw on my shoes and jacket all the while ignoring the suspicious looks the two of them were giving me from the table. I walk up to Alex and give him a quick kiss on the cheek.

"I'll see you tonight. See you, Riley." I smile and he nods, brushing some crumbs off the corner of my mouth. Riley waves at me from the hallway. I go to walk out the door but he gently grasps my hand. I turn around and take in Alex's unreadable expression.

"I love you." He says, eyes shimmering.

My heart swells in my chest and my face turns red. "I love you too, Alex." I wrap my arms around him in a tight hug.

I don't want to go, but I have to work. I would love nothing more than make up for the time I spent moping. The door clicks behind me and I breath in the cool morning air with renewed energy.