Without You

Three Months Pregnant- Eden

The room spun around me, my body protesting the strong smell of toilet cleaner I'm sure I wouldn't even be able to detect if I was not pregnant. My mouth watered, announcing the vomit I was sure would come up any second now.

I propelled myself to the toilet, emptying out every last bit of breakfast I'd eaten. When would this morning sickness end? Could I not smell anything without reacting badly to it? How come I was able to eat pickles and ice cream, but upchuck at the smell of coffee?

After brushing my teeth and washing my face, I looked at my baby bump, finally showing up. I was excited. I adored babies and couldn't wait to be a parent with the love of my life, but it most certainly wasn't easy being pregnant.

Why did the media make this look so glamorous? The only "glowing" I seemed to be doing was with the sheen of sweat that gathered on my brow after turning my insides out. Nobody treated you different when pregnant, most of my patients just thought I was gaining a lot of weight. And those people that looked like models with abs and a minuscule baby bump because they did burpees and yoga? Forget it, I could barely get out of bed these days, much less exercise.

After falling onto my back on the bed, I sighed. eyeing the small suitcase Noah was putting clothes into. He stuffed three pairs of socks into the pocket and walked to sit beside me, rubbing my growing midsection. "You alright, pretty?"

"I'm fine, just tired of throwing up every few minutes. There can't possibly be anything else to throw up!" I dramatically flopped my head onto his lap. Noah laughed and ran his fingers through my hair.

"If I could stay home and take care of you I would, but the school needs a certified bus driver for this trip and all of the other coaches refused."

Noah was driving the students to a camp convention where he would stay three days. It was inconvenient because I would be by myself all that time, but I thought it would be fun for him to travel with his students and learn new things.

"I don't need you to take care of me, Noah. You'll have a great time and I'll invite Jolie over or something. We haven't seen each other since Christmas so it'll be nice to catch up." I yawned, ready for my third nap of the day.

"I'll call you every chance I get. Principal Cross knows I have a pregnant wife so she can forget it if she's going to get onto me for calling you. How about I make you some lunch before I leave?"

I yawned again and nodded, tears arising at the thought of doing this alone. I had a whole lot of respect for single mommies. How did they do it? I couldn't survive without Momma and Noah being there when I needed them.

I didn't realize I had fallen asleep until Noah gently tapped me on the arm. He kissed my head and laid the bowl on a tray beside my pillow. He made me Momma's soup, one of my favorites. I pulled his arm, and he bent to my level so I could kiss him. It got a little heated and I almost forgot about the soup, pulling him even closer to me, before remembering just what hot soup could do to our skin.

"I love you, baby. I'll be home in three days. Mom is eagerly awaiting your call so she can come and bring Eli to take care of you. Jolie called and said she cleared her schedule after work so she could come help as well. Isaiah, Joseph, Zeke, and Jenna are all informed that I am leaving, so call them if nobody else answers. I'll have my phone on me the whole time, but I can't answer while I'm driving. Just... if I don't answer and you have an emergency, call whoever you think-"

"Geez, love, it's three days. I can handle it. Just because I'm getting sick a lot doesn't mean I'm completely useless. I'll be fine."

Noah nodded, obviously knowing I would be fine, but he eyed me skeptically. "Just promise you will try to get out of bed every once in a while. Eat when you know you should and please drink lots of water. I know you're really tired, but it really isn't good to starve yourself and our baby."