The One

Noah- Senior Year of College

"Noah, you've been planning this since you were seventeen years old," Mom encouraged. She was talking to me through my cell phone as I set up the rest of the decorations. My hands shook as I tied tulle around the leg of the bench. "You've got this under control. I'll be leaving the grocery store and will be home in about thirty minutes. Try to stay calm."

Today was the day.

"But what if she says no? What if we've made it this far, so happy, so perfect for each other, and she's not ready? Won't that be awkward?"

"I told your father no four times before I agreed to marry him."

"Wow, thank you, Mom. That really calms my nerves."

Mom laughed. I heard her car door shut and the engine roar to life. "In all seriousness, sweetie, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Eden has been waiting for you to ask her to marry you since she finished high school. Jolie is taking her on a spa day and she's agreed to buy her a beautiful dress for tonight, so all you need to do is think of what you're going to say once she gets there."

I didn't tell Mom that I have had my speech prepared for years now, ready for when the right time had come. There had never been a doubt in my mind that Eden was going to be my forever. My great-grandmother's wedding ring had been perfected for years now, waiting for the day my girl would allow me to place it on her finger.

I was decorating the backyard of my parent's home, the place where Eden and I grew up together. My favorite tree was the focal point, looming over a picnic table I had decorated just for her. It was done up with her favorite colors. The tablecloth was maroon, and blue tulle wrapped around the tree branch we had hung from on multiple occasions, the table exterior, and artfully around the centerpiece. I had hung up Christmas lights as well, hanging up some of my favorite pictures of us with clothespins. 

Of course, I certainly didn't do it alone or it would have looked disastrous. Jenna and Ezekiel had recently moved back home, living about twenty minutes away from where they grew up so Mom could babysit. Jenna and my nephew, Eli had come over to make everything look perfect, adding special touches I would have never thought of.

The centerpiece was a large picture of Eden and me, squished on the couch from the previous Christmas. Eden was laughing at a joke Isaiah had told, and I had my arm around her shoulders, pulling her to me, looking at her as if she was my whole world. And she was. I remember thinking the joke wasn't even that funny, but Eden's laugh could make anyone smile. Various candles surrounded the picture in different heights and sizes, not yet lit.

"This looks really good, Noah.  Eden will love this. Now, let's go get started on this dinner." Jenna put a calming hand on my shoulder. I had been fidgeting all day long. My stomach flopped nervously.

Once inside, I looked over the materials laying around. "Jen, are you sure I should make her Chicken Alfredo?"

Jenna looked at me as if I had two horns growing from my head. "Well, duh. It's her favorite, why wouldn't you make that for her?"

It looked too plain. Eden deserved a five-star meal complete with a brand new kitten every time she ate. "You sure it's not too little? I can make her something really fancy if you think that will be better. I've been watching these YouTube videos where they recreate dishes from five-star restaurants."

"You know better than I do that Eden doesn't like that kind of stuff. She will love anything you do for her, so why not make her what she really likes. It makes it more personal."

Eli was sitting at the kitchen counter, chewing on a cookie Mom had made the night before. Eli was an amazing kid, already excelling in his pre-k class. Somehow he didn't look anything like Jenna and barely like Zeke. In fact, little Eli looked just like me when I was his age. I smiled, hoping he'd find someone that complimented him as much as my Edith did me and praying his significant other had a much more enjoyable childhood.