Chapter One : Intuition

The mail boy left the letter in his hands.

"Thank you."

"Have a nice day, sir." The mail boy smiled and turned around to continue with the delivering.

"Mother! There's a letter!" Peter Pevensie stared at it for a while. "Mother!"

"Mum's not here, Pete!" Edmund's voice answered from upstairs. Peter heard his steps coming. "What is it? We do not receive letters very often."

"Where's Mother?" Peter asked.

"I don't know. I heard her saying something about dad's journey to London. Maybe she would join him, I don't know really. What is it about?"

"I don't know." He frowned and walked to the living room. The arm chair looked comfortable enough for him to sit down there. A slight smile crossed his face when he noticed he was leaving a mark. Edmund followed him, sitting right in front of him. He had grown to be almost as tall as him.

"Oh, well, my lords, would you like me to pour you some tea?" They heard Susan's hateful ironic voice as she approached, holding a broom. "Now that you're resting for the hard work you haven't even started!!"

"Hullo, come down, Su!" Edmund replied. "We're just going to read a letter--" he stopped and noticed Susan's strange frown. As he turned around, he realized that Peter had a satisfied smile across his face.

"It's for us. At last." He said, raising his blue eyes from the paper to his brother.

"Whose...? What does it say?" Susan asked. Oh, he forgot she was there.

"Wait, I haven't finished." He added with a serene voice. However, Peter felt uncomfortable for Susan's presence since he had developed quite an intuition to predict her exaggerated reactions toward the kind of subject that the letter had. Edmund caught the fly on the fly and stopped insisting.

"Ed, when are you going to feed Pumpkin?" The girl directed her attention to the youngest boy again.

"I've already done it! If I keep feeding that cat, it is going to look like a pumpkin!"

"It's your cat, Su." Peter, believing it'd be better to read the letter in Lucy's room, tried to draw her attention away from it too. Even though he was planning to be a veterinary, he couldn't just like Susan's orange cat. She had acquired it with the main purpose of reminding them that animals can not talk. Perhaps that was the reason. Also, the daily living surrounded by Animals in Narnia was making him believe that men could be more beastly than them. So he chose a career that would keep him near similar animals, unlike Edmund, who aimed for the army.

"It's our cat." She grunted sharply, looking not so different from Rabadash when she refused to marry him (Edmund thought), and left the room.

A moment later, the Pevensie boys were inside Lucy's room, sitting on her bed. The girl's eyes were shining eagerly when Peter took out from his pocket the letter and read it out loud (previously sure that Susan wasn't around).

"Dears Peter, Edmund and Lucy:

Greetings! I expect you're having wonderful days now that you're having your holidays. I apologize for avoiding the general questions that one frequently reads at the beginning of a letter but this matter cannot be delayed any longer. Mind you, I have already sent a letter like this one to Polly and Eustace, who will be in charge to tell Jill about the matter--"

"By Jove! I do wish he actually said what the matter is!" Edmund snorted, but Lucy shushed him. Peter, patiently, continued.

"—about the matter. It concerns to all of us. That is the reason of my invitation to my house at the end of this very week. Besides, we can all have a good jaw about Narnia if the kids - Eustace and Jill – can finally tell me the last part of their adventures there. Please, do your best to bring Susan. In these times, someone with such a splendid ability to plan and think (along a strong stubbornness, I dare to say) might come handy.