Chapter Three : Broken glass

To everyone's joy, Aunt Polly had started to cook that afternoon for supper and the smell filling the house of the Professor was delicious. The house wasn't a big as the earlier one, but they all found themselves comfortable and glad to finally be together. They would share rooms. Lucy, Polly and Jill would share the hostage room, which once had been for Peter. The Professor and Peter would share his room and Edmund would get the sofas with young Eustace. Lucy and Jill were inside the kitchen, seeing the quick hands of Aunt Polly cut and wash and steer. The most wonderful of all was that to talk to her felt like talking to the young Polly she once had been. The three, though they were different ages, had long conversations as if they were classmates.

"So, Rilian's mother was a star, then." Jill said, sitting next to Lucy. "How was she like?"

"Very beautiful! She was bareheaded and her long yellow hair hung down her back." Lucy described hair with a smile. "And kind. Caspian chose perfectly."

"I learned at school that stars are made of gas and... light... How come a girl was a star?" Jill inquired.

"Narnian stars seem to be different." Polly answered. "I thank goodness that Narnia is different!"

"I've lived longer in that world than what I've lived in this one and I assure you, one shouldn't compare." Lucy said.

"Pole!" Eustace entered the kitchen. "Your brother left this for you."

The boy gave her the diary and went back to sit on one of the sofas with the boys and the Professor.

"How come the bravest of the warriors of all times was...?"

"A mouse?" Peter grinned, feeling like the young boy who entered the wardrobe. "I assure you that, if you had met him, you would certainly not doubt of his courage."

"Reepicheep, that dear fellow!" Edmund exclaimed. "Don't make the same mistake Eustace made! To touch his tail! He could have killed you, cousin!"

"Was he that fierce? By Gum!" The Professor laughed.

"But he was nicer when I turned into a dragon." Eustace declared.

"No, Eustace," Edmund smiled. "It's you who turned nicer!"

That day was simply wonderful and full of laughter, and Narnia. Finally, hours later, they were all sitting around the table for supper. Peter and Edmund sat on each side of the Professor. At Edmund's left, Aunt Polly was taking her place and pouring orange juice for the youngsters, and wine for the eldest. Across the table, Lucy sat between Eustace and Jill bringing the knives that Miss Plummer had forgotten in the kitchen. A cough from the old lady made everyone turn their heads to her.

"Goodness, Digory, put that thing away!" She grunted to him. The Professor raised his pipe with disbelief. "That vile instrument you have..."

"Polly, don't you start, by Gum—!"

"We're not having supper until you put that off, I warn you!" The ravenous boys begged him to listen to her. "Digs! You're quite old to make me rebuke you like your mother..."

"She didn't do it half the times you have, Polly... " Digory got up from his chair and walked after winking his eye to the children, who giggled, and returned with a fine transparent goblet with golden lines that remarked how luxurious it was.

"Pour wine in my favorite cup, pray, and now," He turned his warm eyes to the children. "Let us talk about the reason you were invited."

"We still have to finish the story of the silver chair...that is to say, when Aslan and Caspian joined us to go back to school." Eustace said.