Chapter 12 - Finally Getting A Dance

Steve opened the door to the restaurant for Natasha and the sound that had been like faint music suddenly enveloped them. He stepped in behind her and took her arm in his. He leaned down close to her ear and said "Miss Romanoff, care to dance?"

She hoped her face wasn't showing the shock she was feeling. "Do you know how to dance?" she tried to sound encouraging.

"It might not be pretty," he smiled with his whole face. That smile made her chest thump. He held out his hand for her. Across the room he caught Barbara's eye and she made a motion to the band leader. The music transformed into something more slow and some trumpet started in, and much to Steve's surprise, he recognized the song from a long time ago. As he was walking in front of Natasha, leading her to the dance floor, he leaned back and excitedly said, "I actually know this song." Natasha laughed a little, she always felt happy for him when he felt part of the life that was going on around him.

He stopped on the dance floor and pulled her near with his hand on her back. He took her other hand with his free hand. He noted to himself that he could have offered to let her put her purse down first but it didn't matter because this is exactly where he wanted to be at this moment. She was so close, he could smell her shampoo and his chin would sometimes brush her hair. They swayed slowly and he leaned down a bit closer so he could talk to her. He hadn't felt this alive in a long time. The feeling of her warm body, her soft skin, her delicious scent... and then there was that palpable flirtation going on between them, it all felt amazing.

"I like your hair and your dress tonight, by the way," he said to her, leaning closer so she could hear. "Did you do that for me?"

"I thought you might like something more... vintage," she leaned back to smile at him.

Their eyes met for what felt like a long moment. She looked at his lips. Steve got caught up in his own mind for a second as he thought She looks like my dream girl tonight. He didn't catch her looking at his lips. His lips were busy trying not to let out what he was thinking. And now his mind was racing for something to say.

...And BUMP.

The older gentleman near them led his dancing partner backwards and straight into Natasha's hip.

"Oh I'm so sorry, honey, he's such a clutz when he's been drinking hard liquor," the nice woman said to Natasha.

"It's quite alright," Natasha smiled.

"Yes but you were the one ordering me all the drinks," he quipped jokingly, looking at the woman. He looked at Steve, "I think she's trying to take advantage of me."

They all laughed.

"48 years of marriage and I still have to get him drinking to get him to dance with me!" she said over his shoulder as he danced her away.

"They're cute," Natasha said, looking up to Steve.

"See? You didn't even have to get me drinking to get me to dance..." he added, charmingly.

"Good to know," she said.

"Well girls weren't exactly lining up around the block to dance with me before... you know, before I took the serum. So I'm getting the chance now."

"Awww, I've seen your picture, you were adorable." She hated to have him feel this way about himself, or, the self he used to be. "Besides, you're just the best guy I know. You would have met someone, you just never got the time." Damn, Natasha... he DID meet someone. He met Peggy. Why would you say that?? She berated herself for that comment.

"That's all in the past," he said gently. He didn't appear to be phased. "I'm learning how to live in the here and now. I'm getting a second chance." He looked down into her face and pulled her closer with the hand on her back again, this time nudging her head gently towards his chest. She leaned her head on his chest while they danced.