Chapter 20 - Hanging The Mistletoe

-Mid December-

Steve held the ladder as Natasha climbed up with the mistletoe in her hand. Even with the help of the ladder, the hook was still a bit high for her and she was reaching.

Steve slowly got down on one knee while he held the ladder. She was busy concentrating.

"Natasha, I love you..."

"I love you too," she smiled, still not looking at him. The flimsy ribbon didn't seem to want to go on the hook. "There, got it!" She looked down at Steve on the floor and although something didn't look right, it didn't quite register what he was doing.

Steve looked up at her. "Natasha, I would be the happiest man alive if you would spend the rest of your life with me... Will you marry me?"

Natasha's eyes widened and she held onto the ladder for balance. Her mouth fell open. "Oh my God, Steve..."

He stayed in position, waiting to see if she would answer him. She started nodding her head, "Yes! Yes!"

Before she could move, Steve was up on his feet taking a ring box out of his pants pocket. He opened the box so she could get a closer look. "You want to come down?" he laughed, as she tried to balance on the ladder and look at the ring. He offered his other hand to help her down but instead she said, "Aww, it's red, white and blue - it's so Steve!"

"Actually," he pointed to the red side, "the red represents you and the blue represents me."

"Oh it's so pretty Steve. I love it!"

He was thrilled with her genuine, happy reaction. "Here, baby, try it on." He lifted the ring out to hand to her.

She slid it on her finger.

"How's the fit?" he asked.

"I think it almost fits," she sounded happy. "It might be a little big."

"Well, we can go get it sized," he smiled. He put out his arms to help her off the ladder. She threw her arms around his neck and squeezed him tightly.

"Oh, Steve... oh my God..."

He moved her over to stand underneath the mistletoe. "I think a kiss is in order," he said, motioning his head up to the mistletoe with a grin.

Natasha sidled up to him, still shocked at the scene that had just played out. "I get to kiss you forever," she said softly.

***

Steve layed in bed, fighting sleep, squinting to keep the light out of his eyes. "Tashaaaaa," he begged, "come to bed." He patted the bed next to him but she was not joining him.

"I'm sorry, honey," she said from the bathroom. "I keep trying to get ready for bed and ...I'm getting distracted.

He laughed to himself. At least she's happy distracted.

Natasha dried her hands on a towel and then walked towards the bedroom to sit next to him on the bed. He reached over for her but she was too far away and he was too tired to move. "You're killin' me, babe," he said with a chuckle.

She opened the nightstand drawer. "I'm looking for a good safe place to put my ring every night. I want to get in the habit of alway putting it in the same place." She shrugged and took the ring off, putting it back in it's box and then into the drawer.

"You're cute," he said and he rolled over to put his head in her lap.

Natasha grazed her fingers over his hair, tenderly. "You're tired. Too much celebrating, I think."