The Last Picture Show // Part Three

wooo fun fun fun is ahead for our ship

wooo fun fun fun is ahead for our ship. will they sink?? float?? FREAKING SAIL????? idk find out. but thank you all so much for reading this book! we're almost at 1k reads. that's insane!!! your comments make me laugh so keep at them. even if it's just a keyboard smash like, yes, i agree. so smash away. enjoy!! :)

--

Eventually, my head found its way on his shoulder which Jughead responded to by pulling me closer. A blanket covered our legs and the milkshakes long gone. The ending credits scrolled across the screen as Jughead pushed himself up to removed the film.

I could hear the crunching of rocks as the cars started to roll out. I had already texted Ronnie and Mom that I would be home soon and I was bringing Jughead. Mom responded with an 'okay' but Ronnie seemed silent.

Jughead sat down next to me as an awkward silence filled the room. My mind had been filled with one question the whole night and finally, I spilled it.

"Why do you love this place so much?"

The boy next to me looked surprised by my question, "Grew up here. My little sister, Jellybean, and I would love to come and see movies every week. It just became special. I feel like if it's gone, the memories will be too, just like her."

My heart clenched at his confession, "Jug, I'm so sorry, I didn't-"

He cut me off, "No, it's okay. I didn't mean to get all sappy on you."

"Juggy, you can tell me anything. You know that, right?" I turned towards him, my hand resting on his arm.

"Juggy," He whispered.

Confusion filled me, "What?"

He looked up at me, a small smile on his face, "You called me Juggy."

"Uh, yeah. Is that okay?" I felt my cheeks burning.

Jughead's hands were suddenly cupping my cheeks before I felt his lips against mine. Shock kept me frozen for a second before I melted into him. My hands grabbed his wrists as I kissed back. Time seemed to stand still but, I didn't want it to move. If I could've stayed with Jughead like that, forever, I would've.

He broke apart first, his eyes not meeting mine before he pushed himself off the mattress. I stood as well and attempted to grab his arm, only for him to shove me away.

"Jughead, don't do this," I pleaded.

He began throwing random things into a bag, "Do what? Deny my feelings? Already doing that, thanks."

"Don't act like you didn't mean to do that!" I tried to reach for him again.

"Maybe I didn't, Savanna? Did you think of that?" Jughead ran around the room like a madman. He stuffed a camping backpack full of things.

I bit my cheek as sadness washed over me, "But I thought-"

Jughead stopped what he was doing to face me, "You thought wrong, Savanna. I'm toxic. I can't be here, with you, with anyone. It won't work."

"I'm not going to lose you for some self-pity party you're having, Jug. Just stop what you're doing and we can talk about this!" I finally grasped his arm and spun him towards me. His eyes still didn't meet mine and I could tell he was hiding something. "I've lost a lot in my life, Jughead. Don't make me lose you too."

And then he broke. Jughead Jones the Third broke. His arms wrapped around me as tears streamed down his cheeks. My heart broke for the boy. I couldn't imagine what he was going through, what he hid for so long. I held him a tad bit tighter.

"Jug, talk to me. Please," I pushed him away from me so I could see him, "Why are you packing up all this stuff like you're moving out? Is everything okay?"

He shook his head as his red rimmed eyes finally met mine, "Savanna, no. It's not. But I don't need you to worry about it, okay? I've got this handled."

I grabbed a sweatshirt from his hand, "Jughead, do...do you live here?"

His silence was enough of an answer for me. I clasped the sweatshirt tighter in my hand as he shoved the final things in his bag. He looked around before focusing on me. Stepping forward, I closed the gap between us and placed my lips on his. A warm feeling spread through me as I ran a hand through his hair, up to the infamous beanie.

When we broke apart, I was quick to grab his hand and pull him out of the booth. Until he found somewhere safe to live, he was staying with me. I wasn't about to let him live on the streets alone, especially with Jason Blossom's murderer still on the loose.

"Wait, Vanna, stop," Jughead let go of my hand to grab a can of spray paint. I watched as he sprayed 'Jughead Jones wuz here' along with a crown on the side of the concession booth. He smiled sadly at the words before grabbing my hand again. We turned to leave when a guy walked up in front of us, blocking the path.

"They'll tear that booth down, too. Raze the whole place. Send it to the junkyard. And us with it."

Jughead didn't show an ounce of fear at the Southside Serpent in front of us, "Yeah...maybe they'll save it. All the pieces. Store it in the town hall attic, and rebuild it in a hundred years. Wonder who the hell we were." He smiled at the man before it faded once again.

"So where are you gonna live now?" I wondered if Jughead had talked to this man before, if the Serpent was aware of his living conditions. Jughead's reply threw me off the tracks even more, and I felt my heart shatter for him.

"I'll figure it out, Dad. I always do."

With that, Jughead led me out of the drive-in, leaving his broken childhood and father with it.