Level 18

(A/N: smut warning! ...no wait calm down please stop sQUEALING -- )

Michael and Jeremy couldn't relax on the car ride home, and all the way down into the basement. Neither were aware of how the other felt about the date, so they hid their feelings behind butterfly kisses and fake smiles, talking how couples were supposed to.

They entered the basement, and Michael took off his coat before helping Jeremy with his. He pulled the coat from the boy's shoulders as Jeremy gazed up at him lovingly (though it was half-artificial) and his eyes widened at the sweater Jeremy was wearing.

"Jeremy, that sweater is rad," Michael smiled. "You should wear it more often."

"Oh, thanks," said Jeremy politely. "I forgot I had it, honestly." He couldn't ignore the fact that Michael was pretty obviously eyeing him up. He changed the subject. "I had lots of fun today. It was great."

Michael snapped out of it and nodded enthusiastically. "So great!"

There was a long pause. Michael took a moment to pull off his red hoodie and leave a tee shirt.

Jeremy decided he couldn't hold it in any longer. "I fucking hated that," he blurted, sinking into a bean bag chair. He immediately regretted it. "Wait, no, I'm sorry -- I'm sorry. That came out way harsher than I meant it to, but... Michael, that sucked."

Michael stared at Jeremy for a long moment, as Jeremy's anxiety grew with every second. I ruined everything oh my god I can't believe --

Michael burst into relieved laughter. "Thank God," he managed to get out, dropping down next to Jeremy. "You're right, it -- it was awful, man."

After getting over his initial shock, Jeremy cracked up too. "You -- haha -- you called me sweetie," he stressed.

"You kept talking about how pretty stuff was!" Michael was nearly doubling over at this point.

The two just sat there laughing too hard for several minutes, stopping for a moment a few times before starting up again.

Eventually, they were reduced to the occasional giggle and were able to breathe again.

Michael coughed and broke the silence, then spoke. His voice was serious. "Jeremy... what if we don't work?"

Jeremy sat up and looked at him. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, all the romantic crap obviously didn't feel right. It felt like... it wasn't us. And we can't be 'us' if it's not us, you know?" Michael grasped for the words. "It's like that song... 'the beauty that I'm faking', and... 'and well, I find it hard to stay, with the words you say.'"

Jeremy nodded slowly. The entire date had felt as artificial as the new trees in the park. "Michael..." He looked over at the boy sitting beside him, both still red-faced from laughter although they were both near tears. "I like you a lot. A lot. But... maybe we're not cut out for this, ya know?"

"Maybe we're better best friends than -- than boyfriends," Michael filled in. He scooted closer to Jeremy and took his hand. "You okay, Jer?"

He squeezed Michael's hand. "Yeah, I just... I wanted to be with you for so long, and now it's not working, which sucks. But at the same time we can still be best friends if we're not together, right? And if that's what works best, then it's what we should both want... right?"

Michael didn't respond. Jeremy realized he'd completely zoned out looking at Jeremy, and poked him on the nose to get his attention. "Hey."