Level 23

(A/N: can i get some fuckin uhhhhhh,, pointless smut towards the end of this chapter? hell yeah i can)

Jeremy was greeted with a friendly hug from Christine, a fistbump from Rich, and a tentative smile from Jake. That's progress, he thought, remembering how uncomfortable their last conversation had been. A smile was better than an awkward wave, anyway.

He quickly gravitated towards Michael, who slung a protective arm around his shoulders. The group all studied Jeremy carefully, as if he may burst into tears at any moment.

"Uh... guys? What's up?"

They exchanged glances, and Christine spoke up first. "Michael told us what happened. We're so, so sorry, Jeremy." She patted his arm in a comforting gesture. "Are you gonna be okay?"

His time with the Squip had prepared him for this kind of acting exercise. Jeremy took a deep breath and nodded as though he were trying to be strong, though he honestly had no idea what was going on. "Yeah, I think I'll be alright."

"I know how hard this is on you, Jer," Michael said pointedly. "It's always hard to lose a family member, and to find out from a phone call in the car..." He shook his head. "Just try to remember that your grandma's dog is in a better place now."

Jeremy nodded again, this time biting his lip and pretending to blink back tears for added effect. He buried his face in Michael's chest as he tried not to laugh at his own attempts to act serious.

"Shh, I know," Michael soothed, rubbing his back. "We could go home if you want, you don't have to stay -- right guys?"

The group agreed, in full support of Jeremy, who was quietly marveling at how genius Michael's coverup was. He'd given them all a reason for Jeremy being late, an explanation for his tear-stained face, and he'd even planned Jeremy an escape route in case the Squip encounter had gone badly. For a story that was formed in the thirty-second walk from the car, it was pretty impressive.

Jeremy stepped back from Michael the Genius. "No, it's alright, we can stay." Michael gave him an are-you-sure look that was likely genuine. "Really, I'm fine. Let's talk about something else, okay?"

The group began discussing what kind of pizza they were going to get as they walked through the mall to Sbarro. They finally settled on the toppings, ordered, and sat down with their food. Nobody mentioned Jeremy's grandmother's imaginary dog.

"So, anything new going on?" Jeremy prompted as they dug in.

Christine launched into the story of an audition she'd had the previous day.

"It went really well! I think I've got a real shot at the role I want."

"Yeah, totally," Jake beamed. "I bet you did amazing."

Michael nodded enthusiastically. "You'd make a perfect Heather Duke, honestly. You've got the voice for it."

"And the look," Rich chimed in. "Speaking of looks, have you guys seen Jake's arms recently? I dunno what the hell he's been doing different at the gym, but it's working. Show 'em, babe."

Jake smiled sheepishly as he stood and flexed for the group. "Ooo"s and "ahh"s erupted along with a wolf whistle from Rich. Jake took a bow and sat back down.

"Aw, you're not gonna do a twirl?" Rich teased.

Jake laughed and picked up another slice of pizza. "Bro, lemme eat -- "

"Don't you 'bro' me, Jacob," Rich interjected. "My dick was in your mouth twenty minutes ago, we aren't bros anymore."

"Rich!" cried Jake, smacking him on the arm. "Don't call me Jacob!"