Sneak Peek

One Month Earlier

"It's a fairly new piece of medical technology, but with the practical applications we've seen in Japan and, more recently, in New Jersey, we're confident that the super quantum unit intel processor is a great option for people like your son who suffer from chronic symptoms of anxiety."

Heidi nodded slowly, absorbing the information. "Do you think it'll help more than the meds?"

"Well," said Dr. Morris, flipping through her notes, "it is still experimental, but judging by the results we've seen in previous trials, it's very likely that this will work much more effectively than traditional medication."

Noticing Heidi's skepticism, she continued, "Of course, you have time to think it over. Take however long you need. I understand this is a big -- "

"I want to try it," cut in a small voice. Heidi turned to her son on the chair beside her. "Mom, can we -- can we at least try?"

She looked at him for a long time, thinking hard.

"I'll let you two discuss this. Like I said, take all the time you need." The doctor stood from her desk and made for the door, but Heidi grabbed her arm and stopped her.

"Wait." She stood resolute. "If Evan wants to try it, then let's try it."

Dr. Morris smiled. "I'll write up a referral."

Of course, Heidi was very tired after a long shift at the hospital, and there were a lot of emotions running about at the idea of a real breakthrough for her son. And, of course, it could have been anything -- a trick of the light, a funny angle on Dr. Morris's glasses, maybe even some kind of optical illusion -- but, at that very moment, Heidi Hansen could have sworn she saw that doctor's eye glitch.