7

Makenna's POV

I lick my lips slowly tasting the strawberry chapstick I smeared against my lips this morning, I haven't seen Justin since he kissed me. I copy down the questions my English teacher wrote on the board then my eyes start to wonder then I noticed Jakob starring right at me. How long has he been starring? He doesn't look quite happy, I look away and fiddle with the cap of my pen nervously. Maybe Justin was avoiding me? Why do I care? I sign and open my book and stare at the words, but I can't focus I feel like I lost the ability to read. The words nearly look like a foreign language to me. I can't lie to myself anymore and as much as I try deny it, I have a crush on Justin. I have somehow developed feelings for Justin but that's so stupid because I hardly even know him. I don't even know his last name for god sake.

"Makenna?" A voice whispered making me jump out of my own world.

"oh um I- uh yeah?" I stammer clearing my throat turning my head to see that it's Jakob who caught my attention.

"We met before, my names Jakob" He smiles at me, I nod and tell him I remember him. "I was wondering if you could help me with question 8?" He asks politely pulling up a chair beside me.

"I'm sorry I can't, I haven't even started yet" I speak quietly feeling embarrassed.

"That's fine, I'll help you first if you want" He offers flipping through the pages in my book. "It would help if you were on the right chapter y'know" He chuckles, I try to play along but my face turns into a deep red.

"Hey um.. are you friends with Justin?" I ask just above a whisper.

"Justin who?" He responds agitated.

"Justin um.. the one you smoke with in that group of guys outside" I scratch the side of my neck and smile a tiny bit remembering him doing the same thing from that night.

"Justin Lambier? You didn't know his last name?" He snickers at me.

"He never told me and I never thought to ask" I sigh scribbling down my answers.

"So what? You guys a thing... or...?" He asks very slowly staring at me causing my head to go blank and face go red.

"What? No, n-no. Not a thing" I stammer shaking my head while closing my books and putting my purse on my shoulder. "Why you asking?" I ask after clearing my throat.

"Asking for a friend" He smirks leaning back in his chair stretching his arms. "And the friend isn't Justin" He says before I could even get words out of my mouth. "Did you wanna do lunch today? There's a small coffee shop around the corner"

"Uh, yeah sure" I answer nodding my head slowly. "I'll meet you by the sidewalk" I say over the bell as I'm pushed by other people struggling to get out the door.

——

Why did Jakob ask me that? Does Jakob like me? Is Jakob jealous? I breath out heavily and adjust my purse strap on my shoulder before pushing the doors and walking outside to the corner. There was Justin, Jakob, and the other boys smoking together on the sidewalk.

"You ready to go?" Jakob coughs out as he inhaled his last puff from his cigarette before tossing it on the street. I give a little nod trying not to inhale all the smoke as I walk closer. I look over at Justin as he gives Jakob a blank stare.

"Yo Justin, you just gonna let him take your girl like that?" One boy shouts from the back.

"Last time I checked Makenna doesn't have a boyfriend, do you Makenna?" Jakob smirks looking down at me.

"I um, no I don't" I respond moving my gaze away from Justin to focus on Jakob.

"Then let's go" He chuckles walking me away from the group and down the street.

I can't believe Justin didn't even look at me, so disrespectful. That just defines what kind of person he is.

"Why do you think I asked you to lunch?" Jakob asks looking up at the sky.

"Because I have no friends?" I shrugged looking up at him.

"Yes, but also no. I wanted to talk about Justin" He says rubbing his temples. "I know he may seem like a great guy but he's kind of not, well he is, but he's not. He has some good qualities but I just mean overall.. You know?" He stammers while holding the door open for me.

"No, actually I'm confused now" I laugh a little walking inside. "I mean we had this moment the other night, and we kissed but he hasn't talked to me since, and just a few minutes ago he didn't even look at me. Now I just think he's some stereotypical bad boy player" I sign looking at the menu then at Jakob.

"Yes. Yes that's exactly what he is and that's why you need to stay away from him" He smiles getting excited. "Because I care about you and I don't want you falling some boy who will break your heart" He claps his hands like he's achieved something, I just stare at him confused.

"Well.." I laugh shaking my head "You don't need to worry about me, I've learned my lesson and I'm glad nothing more happened" I grab and orange juice from the fridge and put it on the counter in front of the lady. "Just this orange juice and a blueberry muffin please" I smile and hand her the change as she hands me my muffin. "Did you want anything? it's on me" I say looking back at Jakob.

"No I'm good, just needed to chat that's all" He shrugs holding the door open as we leave the cafe. "And I know you're thinking it so I'm gonna put it out there, no I am not trying to get with you" He says making both of us laugh. "I care for you as a friend and that is it"

——

A/N : Sorry for the really long wait, Hopefully I can start encouraging myself to upload every week.