c h a p t e r t w o

Author's Note: Should I do a chapter from Maxon's POV?? Comment please!! 

That night I settled into my seat at the piano forte after hours of practicing. The
servants were still setting the places, and so I lazily waited and allowed all sorts of thoughts and daydreams to fill my head.

I imagined that Maxon would see me and just stop, right there and then. That he would run to me and tell me he loved me, and that he would cancel his engagement and propose to me in that moment.

I allowed the thoughts to slip in and fill my head with impossible fantasies of true love.

Tonight's food truly smelled delicious, it was a lemon herb chicken breast with colorful roasted summer vegetables. There were incredibly bright portions of small tomatoes, golden zucchini and squash, there were various shades of roasted bell peppers from the most lively green to fiery reds. I was drooling over the smell itself. There were mini asparagus tarts as an appetizer, and for dessert there was an expansively beautiful array
of créme brûlée and meringue pies. I wished I was Kriss for a moment, if only for the food.

In the haze of the stunningly fragrant food, I almost forgot about Kriss and Maxon. And when I finally did remember, the smells began to make me nauseous. I tried my hardest to shut our all thoughts and just to simply exist.

I watched as servants and chefs brought out each course and lit the many, many candles and chandeliers in the room. The servants were all so silent and mouselike, I almost didn't even notice them entering. They lit each candle one by one, watching it was almost mesmerizing.

Light filled the room as the French Royal Family entered. The French heir was about my age, he had already married his wife, Fleur de Prye (hell yea I picked the name from Harry Potter) She was so delicately crafted, light hair, soft features, and lively green eyes. But she was kind, to everyone, even servants, she seemed to know everyone's name, and every time I saw her she always greeted me,
"Hello Ms. America,"
as if I was the one of us with power, and I would bow, and it was lovely.

Her dress was enchantingly gorgeous tonight, it was a light lacy pink thing that complimented her blond hair and made her look fragile but somehow strong. The dress' backside just sunk to hit the newly waxed floors, and when she took a step, it swayed with her gait.

Her hair was elegantly braided onto her head in the fashion of a crown, it was slightly messy, but looked as if she had done so on purpose.

Her husband, the Crown Prince of France, was kind enough, I suppose. His hair was a medium brown, his eyes were hazel, and he was very tall. His abnormal height was the first thing I noted about him.

They all stood before their seats quietly, awaiting the entry of the Illean Royal Family. I made eye contact with Fleur, who smiled back graciously. I wonder if she knew who I was, who I used to be. I wonder if she had any idea of what Maxon once meant to me.

I played quietly, a light quick tune that was nothing like the one had played just hours before.  I looked down at the keys, careful not draw any attention to myself as I played.

But it was impossible to keep my eyes down when he walked in. Maxon was accompanied with only Kriss, I was suprised that King Clarkson and Queen Amerberly had not bothered to attend.

Thank god he didn't see me as he took his place next to Kriss and across from most of the Royal Family. After his entrance I stared only at the keys on the piano forte.

I listened as best I could to their conversations, but I couldn't hear much above my own playing, however soft it was. Most of their conversations weren't worth listening to anyway, mostly about trading agreements or foreign matters.

That was until the youngest of the French Royal Family, only thirteen years of age,

Prince Henri asked, "Have you set a wedding date yet?"

I kept playing although I almost stopped entirely.

"We love each other very much, but we think we want to continue to learn about each other before we set a date."

I gagged as he spoke, but to my luck nobody heard. I couldn't take it.

I didn't stop playing the piano, but instead the light, frilly piece I'd been playing transformed into a deeper melody. A beautiful, soulful
(I have no idea why I picked this song, and you guys can change it to like Tupac or Miley or Lana Del Rey, whatever you want)
melody. I began to sing, it was an old world song,

"Ive heard there was a secret cord that David played
and it pleased the lord,
but you don't really care for music do ya?
Well it goes like this, the fourth, the fifth,
the minor falls, and the major lifts,
the baffled king composing hallelujah."

My voice filled the room, and  in that moment the entire room looked solely at me, but I just stared at Maxon. My beautiful Maxon. His expression was full of  inquisitive wonder and it made me fall in love with him all over again. 

I brought up my head and
continued my song,

"Well baby I've been here before, I've seen this room, and I've walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew ya
And I've seen your flag on the marble arch
And love is not a victory march,"

My voice rang through the hall,

It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah,
Hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah"
(Keep in mine that erryone stood still like that for like five minutes)

I lingered on the last note, as he stood up, and suddenly my chest tightened, I couldn't breath. I ran from the room as fast as my legs could carry me. I didn't look back.

I ran to the bath room and vomited, and cried, over and over again.

I loved him. I waited in the locked bathroom until I eventually heard a knock on the door,

"America," said a soft voice...

OOO GURL OKAY KEEP READING BC MAXON