c h a p t e r s e v e n

Maxon's Point of View

I woke up early that morning and last night's events slid into my mind, she was coming, today. Kriss was still sleeping, but I was too anxious to fall back asleep. I didn't want to get up, so I just laid there, lost in thoughts of America. I thought of how I'd end the proposal with Kriss, I still wasn't sure how I would, I mean I couldn't do publicly, obviously. I really didn't hate her though, I didn't want to break her heart, but I had to do it, I had to for any chance of a future with America. I must of laid there for couple of hours before our alarm clock rang out through the room. Kriss groaned  at the noise whilst I stayed silent, and then flipped away from her towards the window.
"Maxon," she whispered, "wake up, we have to get dressed."
I mumbled an agreement to her, and she arose from the bed and walked over to the cream curtains by me and flung them open. She lingered for a moment and sighed at the sun. Kriss briskly turned around and smiled at me. I smiled back sweetly and pulled myself out of bed. Kriss walked into the kitchen of our suite and began making coffee. The kitchen staff and servants had been offering to bring us coffee and tea or anything else we desired, but Kriss was perfectly content with making her own coffee, I didn't mind either. I stretched and slowly stalked to the closet. I needed to look perfect today, I mean, what if America's completely ignored me based on my looks? I had to look perfect, I wanted her to see the effort I put in to this. I chose a light blue collared shirt and brown tailored jacket. My plaid tie was green and white with bits of pink. I think I looked rather dashing that day. I smiled at the mirror as I finished the knot on my tie. I assume this would be a garden party, since it is a tea party and the gardens here are absolutely beautiful. Princess Fleur agreed to meet us in the West Wing for the gathering.

Kriss truly did look beautiful in her dress, it was white and fell around her lower thy, low enough to look respectful but heightened enough to seem breezy and summery. She had pearl earrings in, and a pearly lace headband to match. I wondered what America would be wearing, I had no doubt that Celeste was wearing something scandalously elegant. If that were a possible combination. I grinned at Kriss and she leaned in to kiss me, I kissed her back, but it was quick, emotionless, like most of our kisses. There was no passion, no fire, none of the beautiful things that reminded me of America.

We decided we would leave early and take a stroll through the gardens. They were lined with peonies and streaked with lavender. The garden had every sort of pastel wonder kept inside, there were tulips, peach trees, light pink and white roses. We strolled through the cobblestone path as we reached the table, a white tablecloth had been pulled over it and it had a soft looking bouquet of about twelve different types of flowers on it. The food hadn't been set out yet, but I expected we'd have the usual array of desserts and sandwiches, perhaps tea cakes or macarons. Kriss kissed me softly on the cheek unexpectedly and I startled,
"Oh I'm sorry, are you alright?" I just looked back at her and smiled before softly pressing a kiss to her as in response. She tasted sickly sweet and it horrifies me, I thought.
"We should probably go back inside, I suspect they'll be arriving soon," she said.
I nodded and she took my arm as we paced our way back to the palace. We walked inside the lavish place and went to wait by the doorway. Guards lined the hallway completely emotionless as we approached. The foyer painted cream and the were large bouquets sitting on dark wooden tables on either side of the hall.

I could see through the window as the carriages pulled into the driveway, I thought I was going to die of anxiety as I watched Celeste step out of the carriage, but I didn't give her much attention and was wholly focused on America, gracefully stepping to the ground, she looked stunning without so much of a shadow of a doubt. Her dress was so light, one might not have been able to tell it's shade of blue, she had her hair pulled back gracefully into a half-bun. She wore golden earrings and her makeup was done beautifully. She was done beautifully. She looked completely stunning in every aspect.

I grinned from ear to ear, hoping Kriss wouldn't notice my excitement, as they scaled the short stairway to the palace. Celeste walked gracefully, her dress was lilac and she had done her makeup and hair to look light and airy. The doors were swung open to reveal Kriss and me to them. Celeste seemed to smirk at Kriss, while America showed a genuine smile towards me, I returned it graciously. Kriss ignored Celeste and turned her gaze from America to me, then back to America, I looked back to her to find a eyebrow raised. After that I didn't dare glance back at America and focused myself on Kriss.

Two guards moved from their spots to escort the garden as Kriss grabbed my arm. The guard whispered something to America which made her let out a quiet, polite laugh. I missed America's laugh, I hadn't heard it in so long. She whispered back to him and then they both laughed, I tried my best to savor and keep that noise in my head. We all walked silently back to the garden and sat at the table, which was now covered in a spread of sandwiches, macarons, croissants, tea cakes, and more decadently made foods. A servant came to drop of a silver teapot and floral little porcelain cups. Fleur had already arrived and was looking her usual light yet beautiful self. She smiled at America, I wondered if they knew each other, I mean, she had been working for the French Palace. America and Celeste took their seats, followed by Kriss and me. America sat next to Fleur and Celeste, parallel to myself, I was next to Celeste and to Kriss who had taken her place beside Fleur.

The entire situation seemed incredibly tense, and nobody talked for a moment.
"So how long have you two been living here in Paris," Kriss chimed in.
"Almost two years now, after The Selection, America and I wanted to travel the world outside of Illea." I realized that it had been my fault America left, I broke her heart when I chose Kriss, and so she fled an entire country because of me.
I watched as America nodded her agreement to Celeste's answer.
"And how long have you been working at the palace?"
"I got the job almost immediately after we moved, Celeste has been very busy modeling, and I needed some way to occupy my time," America replied sweetly. She looked at me and we stared at each other for a moment, and moved her hand up to tug her ear. I could feel my eyes grow wider as I discreetly did the same.

Author's Note: Sorry I posted pretty late, I've been busy. I usually make my chapters about 1000 words so to make up for that lost time, I gave you guys an extra 200 (:, With apologetic love, Frankie (: