c h a p t e r e i g h t

Author's Note: I'm a terrible person and y'all deserve a better writer. But thank you guys so much if you're still reading!!!!! With jelly tots & love, Frankie (:

America's Point of View

When I was sure Maxon was watching me, I pulled my hand from my lap up to tug my left ear, he looked at me hesitantly for a second, and slowly he did the same. I smiled as he did.

We sat there for a moment just staring at each other, I memorized the planes of his face as if I'd never see him again. The Earth seemed to turn slower as we stared. I looked into his eyes, they were the most intriguing shade of buttery brown, and they seemed to dazzle in the sunlight.

The world surrounding from Maxon Schreave came into focus as Kriss cleared her throat, I jumped a little when she did. Looking around our table, I realized that the three girls had been watching Maxon and me with questioning gazes.

"Everything okay you two?" Kriss spoke, breaking the tension. Well, sort of, the situation stayed pretty tense.

"Sorry, I just spaced out a little," was the only excuse I could think of. I doubted it would be a believable lie, but it wasn't completely a lie. I was technically spaced out, by focusing on Maxon.

Nobody said anything for a couple minutes, we just sat and ate those pretty little desserts and our sipped chamomile tea. I made brief eye contact with Maxon a couple more times, but the quick glances never turned into the deep stares we shared only minutes before.

I also made eye contact with Kriss a few times, and although she remained her usual calm, collected self, her eyes revealed her to be flustered and almost angry. I wonder if she felt envious of Maxon's and my connection, but I never looked long enough to figure it out.

I honestly just felt bad for Fleur for having to endure the insane amount of tension that was currently filling the air. She seemed worried. I couldn't tell for who though, for Maxon, or me, or Kriss? Are Kriss and Fleur friends? I wondered.

They probably were friends, I mean, I don't like Kriss for obvious reasons, but I had to admit, she really was sweet when she wanted to be. I almost excused Celeste and myself from the palace and the party, but then I realized that I had tugged my ear, which meant that Maxon was going to do anything he could to get us to quiet place where we could talk, alone.
"Celeste, Kriss, you two should come with me and see the rose garden, I'm sure you'll find it absolutely stunning," Fleur said suddenly. She must've seen Maxon and me, and realized what we were doing. I'm not sure how she figured it out after only a single ear tug, Fleur shot me a look and a quick nod, so I smiled back at her. Kriss and Celeste both seemed thrilled to see the gardens. And so they left Maxon and me sitting silently at the table.

"A-America," he stuttered my name, "I promise I'm doing everything I can right now."

"Clearly." Why would you say that? You're losing him. Fix it. The thoughts filled and fluttered throughout my head.

"I just-" I took a moment to breath as I spoke my next words,
"I miss you. And it's killing me, killing me, Maxon, to see you with her."

"I know, and it's not as if I enjoy pretending to love her, because I don't Mer, and my role as the loving husband is becoming harder and harder to play."

Neither of us said anything for a moment, I couldn't bring myself to look at him either. So I sat, and waited. It took me a while before I felt a droplet roll down my cheek only realize I was crying, and when I did realize, my eyes finally betrayed me to see Maxon staring at me from across the table.

"America Singer. I love you." I felt myself choke on what he had said to me.