The Witch And The Werewolf

I was a nervous wreck when I jogged up the Gilberts' front porch. Elena called me after what happened to Jeremy. I was already stressed about Caroline being in the hospital and getting a phone call from your best friend's sister, who you didn't get along with, meant something was definitely wrong.

She was hysterical over the phone and every now and then static would meet my end of the line when Stefan tried to calm her down. I only understood half of what she was saying, but that was enough. Jeremy tried to overdose on pills.

They said he was alive and would be okay, but I couldn't just sit around my empty house and wait for him to call. My dad left my mom when I was a baby, so my mom juggled jobs and was barely around. We didn't have the best relationship, so a lot of my friends were family to me; brothers and sisters I never had.

I was the closest with Jeremy. We grew up together and were a year younger than the rest of our friends. That didn't mean I wasn't close to my older friends though.

Caroline was like an older sister to me. She was part of the reason for my dislike of Elena. Elena said she was Caroline's friend, but she had an awful way of showing it. She always made Caroline feel like a third wheel to her and Bonnie's friendship.

I was also good friends with Bonnie Bennett. Not as close as Caroline and me, but friends all the same. We became closer the past year when I discovered my powers.

Yes, I was a witch, but not of the Bennett variety. I wasn't nearly as powerful as Bonnie and her ancestors, but my magical heritancy did date back significantly far. I was of Italian decent, my last name Demarco, and my ancestors practiced elemental magic. Bonnie said that's why elemental magic came easier to me than other magic.

Magic was also why me and my mother had a rocky relationship. She hoped I would never come into my powers. They were from my dad's side and she would always lecture me about how he left because the magic drove him to a dark place. She feared I would do the same and leave her as well.

I haven't left her, but we are basically dead to each other. She got exactly what she didn't want by despicing my powers. They were a part of me now and if she couldn't accept that then we would never see eye to eye.

I wasn't like my father. I knew how to use my ability for good. It helped having Bonnie as my mentor and seeing the evil the Salvatore brothers brought to our town in their wake. I would never become vulnerable to darkness.

I anxiously knocked on the Gilberts' front door to get no answer. I needed to see Jeremy, so I could give him a piece of my mind. After his parents died, he was in a bad place, but I thought he moved past this. Maybe I should have seen the signs of how he was getting worse. He kept picking the wrong girls as company for one. Vicki Donovan was trouble as a human and worse as a newbie vampire. Anna was a good person I admit, but she was a vampire through and through. She would only hurt him in the long run.

And she did. I heard the news about the council vampire burning. She died and it sent Jeremy over the edge.

Elena said he took Anna's blood and tried to kill himself with her depression pills. Luckily, he didn't take enough to be fatal and the vampire blood healed him. I felt guilty that I wasn't there for him. Drugs were his crutch after his parents passed and then Vicki. After she was staked behind our high school, Anna became his new crutch.

Not even twenty-four hours ago that crutch was ripped away from him, so he sought emotional support from a very dark place. Vampirism. I knew what he intended to do. He wanted to turn his emotions off; something I hated the most about vampires.

Humanity shouldn't be something you can just switch off and on. Drinking blood and compelling people was unnatural, but shutting off your emotions was immoral. It created a devoid person; someone who no longer had a soul in my eyes.

My mother always talked about the darkness that consumed my father. I never understood true darkness until I learned about a vampire's humanity switch. That was my number one fear: losing my soul.

The Gilberts' door swung open as I was about to break it down. Jeremy had dark circles under his eyes and looked like hell, but he was alive.

That's all that really mattered.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him for all I was worth. I nuzzled my head in the crook of his shoulder and sighed. "I thought I lost you."

Jeremy chuckled and encircled his arms around my waist. "You could never lose me, Rory."

I pulled away and punched him lightly in the stomach. "You had me scared shitless, Gilbert!"

"I love you, too, Demarco."

I sighed and hugged him again. I clutched his t-shirt between my fingers and never wanted to move. I was a crappy best friend this past year when he needed me most. I was so preoccupied with my magic that I disregarded him.

He lost his parents. I may feel like my mother is non-existent, but she's still here. I don't know what I'd do if I lost her.

I shouldn't have left Jeremy to fill his life with temporary vices. Drugs, girls, and vampires were only the beginning of the things I should be protecting him from. Everything was going to change from this point on. I was going to be there for my friends and use my new magical abilities to help them however I could.

I was going to resist the pull of darkness my mother insisted was after me. I halfway believed her, too. Losing your humanity was a more realistic fear than I ever thought.

Especially holding onto Jeremy for dear life now. He almost became a monster and gave away his soul. That's not something you come back from.

I was a Demarco Witch, like my father, and I was going to protect the humans of this town, not the supernatural.

A.N. The lack of Tyler Lockwood fanfictions on Wattpad is appalling. I mean, I never thought I'd be the one to write one, but I'm trying to branch off. Tyler was never one of my favorite characters I admit, but I think he deserves at least one book in his honor. So, introducing my new main character Rory Demarco. She's a red-headed witch who's only looking out for the humans of her town, but a certain werewolf may challenge her morals soon. Please keep reading. I am probably going to pour my heart and soul into this book and get too attached, which is normal for me. I really miss the vampire diaries. Comment and vote your little hearts out!