06) platonically in love

When I woke up the following morning, there wasn't a sound in the house. How I prayed that the coffee maker would be humming and my mother would be sitting at the kitchen aisle when I walked downstairs, but she wasn't. I couldn't expect my mother to overcome her prejudice towards magic in one night. That would be stupid, but I was a stupid dreamer at heart.

I changed into ripped skinny jeans, a black t-shirt, a green jacket, and Doc Martens. My hair didn't put up its usual fuss this morning and I was able to apply eyeliner without my hand shaking. My chaotic relationship with my mother aside, I was having a pretty decent start to my day.

I skipped down the stairs and popped bread in the toaster. After hearing the familiar click of the toaster, my phone started buzzing. I picked it up and smiled when I saw Jeremy's name.

"I talked to my mom, Jer, just like I promised, and I think we really made progress. You wouldn't believe-"

"I need your help, Rory."
____________________

I met up with Jeremy outside the Lockwood mansion. People were milling around everywhere to set up for the upcoming masquerade. This town was a stickler for its old, drab traditions.

I twirled a piece of hair, slightly bored, and faced my best friend. "What could you possibly need my help here with?"

Jeremy sighed and his eyes drifted to the front door of the mansion. The doors were flung open and Carol Lockwood looked moments away from a stroke as she barked orders.

"That table is from the nineteenth century!" she shrieked and I saw Matt almost drop his end of the previously mentioned table.

I knew Jeremy's attention wasn't directed towards Carol or even Matt Donovan, but rather the boy holding the other end of the table steady.

Tyler.

I rolled my eyes and snapped my fingers in front of Jeremy's soft, brown eyes. "Hell no." I started to walk away when Jeremy gripped my forearm.

"I really need you to do this favor for me, Rory. It's important."

I raised a single eyebrow, waiting for him to elaborate. This better be good.

"I need you to get the moonstone from Tyler."

I laughed and Jeremy glared at me. I already tried albeit unsuccessfully to secure the moonstone from the temperamental Lockwood boy. Why did Jeremy think Tyler would suddenly have a change of heart? Especially for me.

"I found out more about it while researching. I think it's seriously something important."

I looked over at Tyler and he smiled hesitantly my way. I think he was apologetic for my accident yesterday. "Do I get any more details or just that it's something seriously important?"

Jeremy grinned and explained a bit more about the moonstone to me before letting me wander over to Tyler. "Hey." I offered a little wave and hoped I wasn't coming off too awkward.

Tyler smiled and rubbed the back of his neck. Matt had left and gone back inside.

"I'm sorry about yesterday."

I smiled brightly. "All's forgiven." Dead silence enveloped us and I knew I had to ask sooner or later. "I researched that stone of yours."

Tyler's smile dropped. "Why would you do that?"

Oh shit. Why would I do that? I flipped through possible explanations and settled on the lamest one ever. "As you said yesterday, it's pretty. Turns out that it has some cool folklore attached to it."