01) magic show me the way

I stayed by Jeremy's side as we entered the Lockwood mansion. Elena and Jenna dragged us along with them. Well, Jeremy was the only one complaining really. He never got along with the deceased mayor's son, Tyler Lockwood, so I could understand why he didn't want to come.

    I didn't hate nor like Tyler. He was just someone I went to school with who was in the grade above me. We barely ever crossed paths and have talked maybe twice over the course of my life. I wasn't about to argue over attending his dad's funeral though. Losing the mayor was a loss for the town. It was only respectful to show up as a courtesy.

I tried to explain this is Jeremy, but he was having none of it.

"Looks like the whole town has turned out." Jeremy's aunt, Jenna peered around the crowded house. I suddenly felt claustrophobic as well. So many people dressed in black reminded me of a shadow of impending death.

I said impending because something made my skin crawl. I didn't think this would be the first death this town saw this year or the last. My magic pulsed in my wrists and I wanted to part the mass of people.

I latched my hand onto Jeremy's arm. He smiled tentatively down at me and entangled my fingers from his arm and entwined his hand with mine. My heart beat slowed down and the herd of people cloaked in black didn't seem as intimidating anymore.

Elena sighed and scratched her neck. "Well, he is... was the mayor."

Jeremy tightened his grip on my hand. "Why don't they save it for the funeral?"

Elena glared at her blunt brother and Jenna sighed. "That's what people do, Jer. Remember that the Lockwoods were here for us when we went through this. It'll be quick. I promise."

She departed from us and soon Elena made an excuse to leave as well. She was always running after her vampire boyfriend like some trained lapdog. I don't think I have ever met a girl so codependent. She couldn't do anything by herself and it made me almost pity her.

Almost.

Jeremy tightened his grip on my hand making my gaze flicker up to meet his. "You okay?" I asked.

Jeremy nodded, but I couldn't tear my eyes away from his ticking jaw. He was anything, but okay. "We can just sneak out if you want," I suggested. "If Jenna asks I'll say I got sick or something. I know this is hard for you."

The tick in Jeremy's jaw stopped and he released my hand. The air seemed to be vacuumed out of the room. "I don't need your sympathy."

I bit my bottom lip and kept my mouth shut. I never knew how to act around someone who lost a loved one or in Jeremy's case many loved ones. I've never had anyone close to me die. I felt unprepared for something like that to happen.

Jeremy walked away from me down a hallway. I wanted to give him his space, but the mass of people cloaked in black seemed to swarm around me. My throat constricted and I ran after my best friend before he disappeared.

I found him standing in the open doorway of the mayor's study. He didn't look in any hurry to walk inside. I peered around his shoulder to see a sight that made my heart plummet.

Tyler was sitting on his dad's desk drinking alcohol from a flask. He didn't look like the arrogant jock I've seen around school occasionally. He looked beaten. I wanted to reach out and comfort him, but I was reminded of how terrible I was at comforting. Jeremy served as a shining example.

Tyler moved the flask away from his lips and rubbed his forehead. His brown eyes glared at Jeremy before softening slightly when they reached me. "Bathroom is down the hall."

"I'm sorry about your dad." The words sounded automated when they tumbled out of Jeremy's mouth. I rubbed my own forehead, mimicking Tyler.

The edge of his swollen lips rose when he saw me. It dropped when his gaze hardened at my best friend. "Today has been full of sorrys from people who don't give a damn, Gilbert."