Chapter Ten

Victoria spent the rest of the day in her room overthinking herself to the point of nausea and headaches. She was also trembling. Although that probably came from the not eating. In her defense she had eaten something a couple hours ago only to throw it up ten minutes later.

She was currently lying in her bed. Every hour one of the three maids would come in and ask if she wanted anything, she didn't want to talk and would feign sleep.

Evening came and Victoria found herself rummaging through her wardrobe, just to feel the comfort of her own belongings. The dresses she wore were beautiful and elegant. Perfect for her new life living in a palace. She loved them no doubt about it but she currently needed something familiar to reassure her.

The smell of her old apartment still clung to her clothes that Hermes had packed. With a sigh, she closed the wardrobe hoping that by doing so, her clothes would retain their smell.

All of a sudden, she heard a knock on the door. A voice announcing that Hades was there and was requesting an audience with her.

She stilled.

He's here, Victoria looked around the room for a way to escape. Unfortunately the only window in the room was the skylight, maybe that's why they put me in here. So I can't escape.

No, she thought herself, she couldn't afford to scare herself like that. With that thought, she gathered herself and opened the door.

Hades stood there in the flickering candlelight. Shadows cast across his angular face and his armour seemed to fade and glow along with it.

Her heart stuttered at the sight of him and she couldn't tell if it was our of fear or awe.

He looked regal as he stood there towering over her. This damned God. Why was he so perfect?

"Your Majesty," Victoria managed to croak out, she cleared her voice. "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

He scowled at her. This wasn't good. She tried to come up with something to say as he turned and talked to one of his servants in a hushed voice. The servant quickly scurried away.

"Your servants tell me you have been refusing meals?" He demanded. Her head ducked in fear of the tone of his voice.

Stupid heart, she cursed inwardly, of course I'm not allowed to admire this man. He is too beautiful and too terrifying for the likes of you.

"I have been nauseous all day, Your Majesty. If I eat a bite of food, I throw it up minutes later." She whispered.

"Hades." His brows were furrowed. "Call me Hades. Not 'Your Majesty' and not 'My King' surely you must know your own intended's name?"

Victoria felt herself flushing and unable to speak as she stared at her feet. She hated how much she loved being near his presence. You are drawn to people who pay attention to you and take care of you. Stupid girl. Stupid heart.

"I'm sorry." She whispered.

Hades sighed.

"You don't need to apologise for anything. It is I who should apologise for being so curt towards you."

There is was again. This dichotomy between the softness and harshness of the way he talked to her. This was exactly what she had been fretting about all day. If someone asked her to show an example, this was exactly it.

"You needn't apologise either." She mumbled, "I understand that I'm not exactly what you were looking for in terms of a future wife. It's only natural for you to be upset."