Chapter Eleven

Victoria was beet red. She had been since Hades had her against the gate of the gardens.

They were sitting beside the beautiful fountain that lay in the middle of the greenery. Hades sat across the table from her, looking the most relaxed in their two day acquaintance. Even in his armour.

Speaking of which.

"What is it?" He asked. He had been watching her, like a big cat lazing in the sun, gold goblet in hand as he leaned back in his chair.

Victoria's face felt hot. It always seemed to be the case whenever she was around the god. How did he pick up that she wanted to ask a question? Was he able to read her mind?

She flushed again. Praying that he couldn't see or hear what she had been thinking about everytime they were together.

With that thought in mind, Victoria picked away at the leaves of the strawberry she was holding.

"I was just wondering why you wear your armour so often." She mumbled  staring at her task at hand, suddenly very focused on not looking at him.

Hades laughed and took a drink before answering.

"It is my uniform. I have been in council meetings all day. I wear my armour when I am working."

At his words, Victoria sank in on herself. So he was working right now? Did he view spending time with her as part of his job?

Don't get so upset Victoria, she scolded herself, you've known him for less than two days. Don't get attached.

Of course he would. It wasn't as if he was truly interested in her, she thought glumly, it must've been a horrible surprise to find out that your intended was a mortal.

A God and a human as each other's intended. What a horrible concept.

He was better than her in every way. Literally.

Why on earth was she chosen for him? It wasn't like she was anything special. Her life up - until the current point - had been entirely mundane. Victoria lived an average life, a happy childhood with loving parents, good grades in school and in university. Nice friends and a sweet boyfriend who seemed to have cared and looked after her.

Calum.

Guilt washed over her in tidal waves at his name again. Before she could stop herself, she opened her mouth.

"I would like to return home."

She was met with silence. Only the sound of the fountain's trickling water met her ears as the air grew tense.

Victoria built up her courage and looked up at him. Hades' face was emotionless, passive. Cold.

If felt like an eternity before he replied. She sat there, hands clasped together.

"How so?" He asked. His voice had an eerie calmness to it. Or maybe she was just imagining things. Her eyes search him and landed on how tightly his hand was holding the goblet.

"I just-" Victoria gulped, "I don't belong here. And- and I have a life to return to."

And I need to tell Calum what has happened. How I've betrayed him.

Victoria was overcome with the need to get away. Away from this world that was so unfamiliar. Away from people addressing her as 'lady'. Away from this god who made her melt in once glance and terrified the next.

"Your life is here. With me."

"But it's not, Your Majesty." Victoria saw him tense, fingers tightening even more around his drink until the stem seemed to have moulded due to the pressure. Fear began to thread its' way through her veins. "I'm not built for this place. This world of gods and goddesses. I was kidnapped from my home, my life that I had built for myself. And forced into one where people address me as if I'm royalty and told that I am intended to somebody I don't know."