Chapter 2

Kathriza was impressed.

"I told you all that?" she asked, unsure.

Then she frowned, which showed a few creases of wrinkle lines to her forehead.

Edan did not bother to answer.

Instead, he pulled his mother up to her feet and hugged her tightly.

"That's exactly what I am doing, mum. I am following your advice. So, you must let me do this. For me. Please?"

Kathriza's eyes rolled in their sockets. She looked worn over. Defeated, more like.

How could she be the obstacle standing in her son's way when he'd put it so perfectly.

Her eyes welled up again.

She blinked rapidly. But this time with a forced broken grin.

How quickly he had grown up lately. How handsome and smart too he'd become, she thought proudly. Then she looked deeply beyond her son's eyes and recognized a certain streak. Steely determination.

There was no doubt in her mind where in the family history such trait came from.

But he was absolutely right.

She was torn, but the time had come to admit it to herself that the young do grow. It was time to let young birds fly. And that time was now.

Truly, the world is a mighty onion for those who dare. How could she then be the dead Elephant laying across his son's way?

With tears returning to flood her eyes again, Kathriza hugged her son one more time before swiftly walking away. She fell into the waiting arms of her husband.

With the commotion arrested, the drama was finally over.

Edan took a deep breath. He was relieved.

All was now ready. Definitely ready.

He made his way to the car as Roman slid under the wheels.

As the car pulled away, he turned and looked backwards.

He caught sight of Kechi waving as the car approached the castle gate. His mother's face was buried in his father's shoulder.

The gate slid gradually open, but wide enough to allow a smooth drive through.

The Jaguar XF turned left and disappeared from their view.

Edan turned forward and caught sight of Roman's eyes in the interior rear mirror. He winked at him.

"That was a fantastically brave job you pulled out there, you know?"

"It wasn't easy. But I had to do what was necessary to get moving," Edan replied.

"You know the thing you said about the onion. Did you make that up?"

"Think about it Roman. The onion layers represent opportunities for the moment. You know there's one at the end of the road, but which? The question is; would you rather decline one good opportunity in front of you today just for being hopeful that another will be waiting? Would you?"

"I guess not," replied the driver.

"Wise answer," he said. "Those were my mother's words. I understood them then. I still understand them even better now," he concluded.

So, Edan finally left behind his very tearful loving mother. His father, who never failed to remind all his children not to allow their dreams to be crippled or shackled in chains for lack of effort.

Also left behind were his two most loved brothers and sister.

He was leaving behind the one closely-knit family he'd known all his life.

Together, they were the most valued and amazing people in his life.

To Edan, this trip was recognition of his one in a life time chance.

It was the one opportunity he believed could possibly take him across the world's seven continents.

And although he'd been driven so far by the sheer power of his unbroken desire mixed with the determination to find his lovely dream girl, there were still grey clouds in the sky. Questions which indeed needed answers.

Like: Who actually was the girl in his dream? Does she really exist? Or was this just a creation of his overactive mind?

And, do late nights or daydreams usually represent anything truthfully meaningful or spiritual? He did not have any firm answers right now. But the desire to find out was enough motivating charm.

So also was his feeling of self-belief that he might just be right after all.

All was wrapped up in the hope that he would not return home with tear-jerked eyes full of regrets.

At the airport, he queued to check-in his luggage. Then turning to wave goodbye to the driver, discovered Roman was in tears.

What a bunch of tear-jerkers, he thought. As for himself, he'd seen enough of crying for one day.

"Go on then, get lost. Just don't set me off too and enjoy the drive home." Without another word to his fathers' driver, Edan turned away. Then he followed applicable visual directions to the departure lounge.