Chapter 4 - Africa

His next pit stop was Africa2.

It is the second largest continent on earth.

Its peoples head count also makes Africa the second most populous continent to live after humongous Asia.

This was the land where it all began, he recalled. He would cast his mind way back to his almost forgotten primary school history lessons. It also brought back fond memories of his history teacher, Mr Abel Socapun. He told stories than lecture.

He remembered the historical data about the origin of life and the human species. Many of history books have made mention of traces to the continent as the cradle of ancient civilization.

Seriously! He wondered. It didn't quite look like it from where he was standing.

But the abundance of confirmed natural evidence has been almost overwhelming.

Historians have overtime generally come to conclude that life actually began here.

Still, it remained mostly ravaged by poverty and hunger and disease in many parts of the continent.

He wondered!

How could this have happened to a land so rich in fertile vegetation, plenty of great wild life and untapped mineral resources?

What happened to the generations of that great ancient African civilization?

Where did they go?

Did they get tired of the harshness of the Sun and packed up tent?

And if so, where to?

Across the land, he saw young people asking questions and seeking answers.

How could this continent so often be in distress as though trapped in a deliberate scheme of arrested development?

He closed his eyes and dreamed another dream.

He saw visions of a positive re-awakening. He saw a new continent that would evolve from within itself.

The clouds thickened and he heard sloshing sounds. Like the sounds of water rushing through vertical slopes as though the great oceans were finally reclaiming dry lands.

The sporadic clatter of thunder and sparkly flashes of lightning were strong evidence that the rains were coming.

Soon, a terrible twister began to rise.

It swirled and swirled upwards, gathering speed with every motion.

Then it rocketed fiercely into the already thickened sky sweeping everything that lay across its path. Edan watched as a flash of lightning struck a field of dried straws.

The flames were a mix of reds and yellows. They burned until there was nothing left.

Edan realized he was actually witnessing a shift in the old order of things.

He believed he was in a rare position to observe such electrifying destruction with a chance for a rebirth.

Like the myth of the Phoenix, something new was re-emerging with potentials of greatness and strength.

He saw the uprising of a new Africa. He saw nations arise from the ashes of war and the crippling effects of incompetence which had previously caused famine, poverty, disease and stunted development. When it all came together, ashes which arose from the aftermath were absolved into the sky.

Then the rains came. It extinguished all flames so that the entire landscape was covered with such lush of evergreen.

Edan noted he was witnessing something wonderfully special.