Chapter 5 - North America

On his landing in the continent of North America3, Edan was scarily amazed to really discover how high some of the buildings were. For him, it was a visual reminder of pictures of very tall hotels and properties his father had stayed in while on business trips to places like Dubai and Qater, both in the Middle East.

Skyscrapers that looked like their builders probably were competing on which project would go any farther.

On a foggy day, the uppermost chambers of the tallest buildings were likely to look as though they were submerged into the clouds.

There were flashing lights on bill boards on pavements.

He had never seen so much aggressive advertising compete for attention within a small walking space.

Wherever he looked, he saw commitment and the uplifting spirit of enterprise.

He saw spirited determination in people's faces as though they drank it as part of their early morning coffee routine.

He could breathe and feel the buzz that was all around him. It was like fresh energy being pumped into his veins.

Here, life too was on a much faster pace. People were impatient but got on with it.

He felt adventurous and alive which gave him a real boost of optimism.

With his new surrounding making him feel like superman without the cape, he had no doubt he would find his dream girl.

After all, he was in New York. Also known as the Big Apple. Last night he overheard someone, a tourist probably describe it as the city that never sleeps. Some believe it's also where dreams are made.

If therefore the sayings were true, then he was definitely at the right place.

On the sidewalk of Manhattan Bridge, Edan noticed a girl dressed in white linen.

She scurried around in pink roller-skates as though there was never any crisis in her world.

Her hair was loose and hung freely to the gust of wind blowing south.

As she approached him, her face lit-up with a smile. There was twinkling in her eyes like flashbulb.

It was infectious, cheerfully exciting and a bit flirty, Edan thought.

Her eye contact was firm and warm. Edan felt so at ease.

There was no cause for him to be shy or feel threatened whatsoever.

Nothing shifty or close, it seemed.

As a matter fact, she radiated confidence for two, which was more than enough to keel over a weak Ostrich's feather.

That is, if she barked 'woof' loud enough.

Her confident skates walk was a short swagger that encouraged anyone nearby to turn and take notice.

She walked with such skating grace. The kind which says without words: 'Hey look at me and tell me what you see.'

There was something else oddly familiar about her too, Edan observed.

She had similar lively glitter in her eyes like the girl in his dream.

This is great! He thought.

Fantabulous! It's all going very well.

But, is she really the one? He wondered.

She must be.

Edan turned on his own character charm.