it's just a supercut of us

A/N: Okay, so quick note: I am not claiming that what's written in this one-shot really happened. This is my interpretation of events and it's FICTION. Also: the trial never happened in this one-shot. Also: have fun reading!

---

Cause in my head, in my head, I do everything right

When you call I'll forgive and not fight

All the moments I play in the dark

Wild and fluorescent, come home to my heart

---

August 7th, 2017

318 days After Karlie

There were a lot of things Taylor Swift was good at. For starters, she was a proficient songwriter. She was an expert at putting just the right amount of sass in business emails. She was a good guitarist. She rarely lost a game of scrabble. She was able to guess the brand of cat food just by smelling it. She was excellent at pausing the microwave one second early. And lastly, she was very good at getting over people.

Karlie always said the last thing wasn't something to be proud of. She thought it indicated a certain emotional distance, a past trauma that made it impossible for Taylor to fully immerse herself into a relationship. Taylor hated it when Karlie talked about her like that. There was nothing wrong with her. Just not everyone was as bold and impetuous as Karlie. Some people actually liked to be in control of their lives.

Karlie would be pleased if she knew that Taylor wasn't as good at getting over people as she liked to believe. Quite the opposite, actually. Once she allowed herself to feel something, she felt everything. There was no grey area when it came to loveat least not for her. And when she fell in love with Karlie, she decided that certain people were just worth the broken heart.

(That wasn't true. No one was worth a broken heart. Not even Karlie Kloss.)

Karlie stumbled into Taylor's life exactly 1363 days prior to today. (It took Taylor three weeks to fall for her, which meant that she had been in love with Karlie for 1342 days.) There was some literal stumbling: Karlie burst into Taylor's dressing room in a glittery bodysuit, plopped down on the couch with surprisingly little elegance for a Victoria's Secret Angel, realized she wasn't in her own dressing room, jumped up, shouted an apology, and tripped over a chair. Taylor caught her by her elbow before she could fall face first on the floor and Karlie's body slumped against hers.

In hindsight, it was the perfect cliche romantic comedy meeting.

Only after Karlie had regained her balance, she looked at Taylor and blurted, "Oh my God, you're Taylor Swift."

And Taylor had been so fucking flustered that the only response she could think of was, "Oh my God, you're... hot."

(It was quite unpoetic for an award winning songwriter, but nevertheless a good icebreaker. Karlie laughed hysterically.)

Karlie Kloss was a hurricane in every sense. Her walk, her piercing stare, the way she said Taylor's name—it was all so intense and exhilarating and Taylor felt like she was constantly catching her breath. The world was just so fundamentally different in Karlie's presence. Unlike most other things, Karlie was completely unpredictable—Taylor couldn't plan her, and for someone who liked planning so much, this was terrible. Every day with Karlie was an uncertainty, both because of her whirlwind personality and because of the fragility of their relationship. It was terrifying. Taylor never expected she would miss it so much.

It had been 318 days since she had last seen Karlie. Two weeks after their break up, she moved to London. It was supposed to be a fresh start (that was what everyone kept calling it anyway) but it didn't seem 'fresh' at all, it just made her feel weirdly out of touch with everything. She barely saw her family and friends anymore and she hadn't talked to her fans in months. For the first time in years, there was a real distance between her and her public persona. And sure, it was a relief to be free from the pressure that came with being a successful musician, but it also made her feel empty somehow. And it gave her a lot of spare time to think about Karlie, which was definitely bad.