she's cheer captain (and i am on the bleachers)

(This is for the anon who asked for a high school AU. It's 8000 words of fluff. Enjoy.)

---

She wears short skirts, I wear t-shirts,

She's cheer captain and I am on the bleachers.

(Sometimes, the boy next door is actually a jerk and the cheer captain is super pretty.)

-----------------

I think I have a crush on Karlie Kloss.

I'm not sure how this happened. Well, technically, I know very well how it happened. It's all the time we've been spending together. It made me obsessed. When I first started tutoring her, I couldn't stand her. She is still quite obnoxious, really. She talks about her boyfriend a lot. She's extremely self-assured. She is so gorgeous it's hard to talk to her. She chews on the back of her pen. She listens to Justin Bieber (I mean, come on?) She doesn't like water because she thinks it tastes like nothing (like???? That's the whole point.) She's just not someone I'd normally spend time with. If you would have told me in our freshman year that there would be a time Karlie Kloss would call me 'Tay', I would have laughed at you. Because she's Karlie, and I'm me.

And I'm obsessed. Because Karlie Kloss is also extremely adorable. She's the most popular girl in the school, mind you. She's the cheer captain, the queen of the social hierarchy, the closest thing we have to a Regina George, but she still cares enough to ask me about my day. She complimented my bracelet last week and it sounded genuine. She's very shy when it comes to her Spanish, in a way that it's almost charming. She also has a hilarious, dry sense of humor, and her face lights up when she talks about her dog.

I used to think she was just the overly confident cheer captain, but she isn't. There's a part of her that stays hidden most of the time, but that part is very compatible with me. It's softer and nicer and less intimidating and it likes reading and space. I think I fell in love with it, just a little bit. It just makes my stomach feel all kind of strange things when she starts rambling about NASA. She beams and her eyes shine and she looks even more beautiful than usual.

It's just a little crush.

I'm straight, by the way. I mean, everyone has the occasional girl crush, right? Doesn't mean I'm g

"BOO!"

Taylor hastily throws the diary shut. "Jesus, Cara!"

"What are you do-ing?" Cara sing-songs. "Is that your diary? What are you writing? Dear Diary, I'm a dork and nobody wants to date me."

"Knock it off," Taylor huffs. She shoves the diary in her bag and takes a bite of her apple.

"Hey, you know I'm just messing with you, right?" Cara sits down next to Taylor.

"Yeah, well, you're not funny."

"Oh, wow, you're cranky. Wanna talk about it?"

Taylor glances at the popular squad's table. Karlie isn't there yet. "No."

Cara follows her gaze. "Are you looking for Karlie? You're still tutoring her?"

"Yes."

"She still hasn't caught up? Man, she dumb."

"She's actually really smart." Taylor says it way too defensively. Calm down. "She's dyslexic, that's why she needs help in Spanish."

Cara raises her eyebrows. "Okay, I'm sorry. I didn't know. No need to get your knickers in a twist."