speak now (part two)

Hi guys,

First of all, I'm really sorry it's been so long. I know I always say this but I'm always sorry. Life really really really got in the way. But I'm here now, with the second part (and finale) to this story. Maybe you'd be well-advised to check back at part one before starting this (since it's been four months and all that), and at least reread the ending. Or I can just summarize it for you: they kiss in the end.

I hope this is still somewhat enjoyable for you even though you probably cancelled me months ago. I love you for reading.

Love, Nikki

——

The world still turned after the kiss.

That is, the sun still came up every morning, September became October, the trees all turned orange—

and Karlie still wanted to get married. In spite of everything – in spite of her hand grazing Taylor's cheek so tenderly, in spite of the urgency of her movements when she finally pulled Taylor towards her, in spite of the seeming inevitability of their reunion. In spite of everything, she still wanted to get married.

By the way, Taylor knew that was supposed to be a good thing, Karlie finding happiness and all that. She was supposed to be happy that Josh had forgiven Karlie. Karlie had made that abundantly clear; she had called Taylor ten hours after landing in New York and told her that she and Josh "had discussed things" and that they had decided that "given the circumstances, there's no reason to blow off the wedding". Her voice had been light and cheerful and Taylor was clearly expected to be cheerful as well. Even though she had kind of been hoping the wedding was off. Not even because she so desperately wanted Karlie and Josh to break up, but because she would rather swallow acid than attend Karlie's wedding as a bridesmaid.

And also because Karlie had fucking kissed her. And Taylor knew that Karlie was stupid and stubborn, and that she had this idealistic view of this marriage as a solution for all her problems, but she also knew that Karlie was spectacularly wrong, and more hung up on her that she had dared to show. And... for Josh to go along with it, to be told 'I kissed my ex-girlfriend last weekend' and just brush it off as no big deal... She had honestly thought he was smarter than that.

Alas, Josh Kushner was an idiot and there was going to be a wedding. Which also meant that Taylor was back to being a part-time wedding planner. Karlie apparently didn't think this kiss was a reason to keep Taylor at a distance, and she was still happy as ever to seek Taylor's counsel for decorations, guest lists, and bridesmaids' dresses. And because Taylor couldn't say no to Karlie and she would have used any excuse to talk to her, she was still as actively engaged with Karlie's wedding shenanigans as she had been before. Karlie needed advice on flowers at 4 a.m. on a Tuesday? Taylor picked up the phone on the second ring. Karlie was panicking over the table setting? Taylor calmed her down and offered her advice. Karlie needed to pick between three types of bridesmaids' dresses and needed Taylor to model them for her? Sure, she could do that. Except there was this one detail—

"Why don't you just model them yourself? Doesn't the fact that you're a supermodel make you kind of perfect for that job?"

Taylor could practically hear Karlie roll her eyes through the phone when she asked that question.

"Haha," Karlie said. "No, I need to see you in them because you're my favorite bridesmaid."

"So you suggest I come to New York to pull on some dresses so you can make sure I look good at your wedding?" Taylor had already decided she would do it, of course – she just wanted Karlie to really think about what she was asking.