Locked Out

It was at least ten minutes before we finally got a hold of them and by then we were both out of breath. He held the cat and I held the leash we'd somehow managed to hook onto the dog's collar.

When we reached his dorm, I tried the door and it wouldn't open. I turned to him but before I could say anything, he had banged his head against the door, muttering a stream of bad words under his breath. I was halfway between turned on and shocked at his language. He'd opened up since middle school but still, this was innocent, adorable Cyrus Goodman. He wasn't supposed to have a vocabulary like that.

I watched him, kind of mesmerized by the heaving of his chest and the way his breath made the cat's ears twitch every time it passed his lips in loud huff.

His voice brought me out of my daze. "I can't believe I got locked out again."

"Again?" I asked. You'd think the top student in his year would be smarter than that.

"Yes, again. Ugh, I'm such an idiot! I can't leave them out here until my roommate gets back!"

"That's ok. You guys can come back to my room and hang out there." I wish I could say my intentions were entirely pure but the first thought that popped into my head at the idea was that I would finally get to spend more time with him. Selfish, I know.

Cyrus looked at me in astonishment. "Really?"

I nodded.

"Oh my God, thank you!" Holding the cat with one arm, he threw his other around my neck in a tight hug. Wrapping an arm around his waist, I hid my smile against his shoulder. He pulled away, grinning as I led him down the hall to my room.