Hanging Out

"So what are the pets' names?" I asked as I opened my door.

"Lewis and Admiral."

"Breeds?" I was pretty sure the dog was some kind of sheperd but I had no idea what the cat was.

"Lewis is an Australian shepherd and Admiral is a Scottish fold."

I looked at the ball of grey fur in his arms and filed the breed name away for later. He was a cute cat. Maybe I'd get one when I finished college.

"Sorry 'bout the mess," I apologized as we stepped into the living room.

"Thats ok! My dorm's always messy too, though that's mostly Aaron's fault."

"Yeah, that kid has no organization or cleaning skills at all. I forgot he was your roommate." I had a few classes with him and I pushed away the twisting pain in my stomach at the thought of the redhead. He was attractive, sweet, and gay. Just Cyrus' type if his taste was still the same as a few years ago.

"You can put something on tv if you want. I got Netflix last week," I told him, unclipping the dog's leash and dropping down on the couch. Cyrus sat beside me, still holding Admiral. I handed him the remote, ignoring the brush of his shoulder against mine.

Lewis curled up on top of my feet and Cyrus clicked on the Titanic. I leaned back and he did the same thing.

As time went on, we forgot about waiting for Aaron. Cyrus fell asleep on my shoulder partway through the movie and the dog climbed into my lap, tucking his nose between my arm and my side. Some time after, my eyes drifted closed, my heartbeat slowed in the relaxing quiet and even the electric shocks Cyrus' touch always seemed to cause eased.