Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

"I don't like that banker man," Langley admitted as he and Marston rode down the winding road toward town.

"Why is that?" Marston asked, moving the cart around a deep puddle in the muddy road.

Langley pulled his coat tighter to ward off the cool December air. "He says mean things to mama and she's always upset when he leaves."

"Bankers get mad if you don't pay them their money," Marston assured the boy.

"It's not just that, Marston," Langley insisted, a seriousness in his tone that wasn't generally there.

"What else is there?" Marston demanded. A silence that frightened him followed Marston's question. Buck's hooves slapped in the mud, the river rushed beside them and the birds sang in the trees but Langley remained completely silent.

"Boy, you ain't never had a problem talking so don't start having one now," Marston scolded, his voice tense with unease. "What else is there?"

Langley picked at the knee of his trousers. "Last time he was here he told mama he'd get his payment from her one way or the other even if it wasn't money he got and he was touching her face... Mama was scared, I could tell. I don't know exactly what that means but I know she's been real worried ever since."

Marston's clutched the reins in a white knuckled grip and his jaw popped as his teeth clenched. "And what did your mama tell him?"

Langley shrugged. "She just promised him she'd have his money and she begged him not to make us homeless." Langley met Marston's gaze, his blue eyes pleading. "You won't let him hurt mama, will you Marston?"

Marston shook his head and patted Langley's hand. "No, kid. There ain't nobody gonna hurt your mama."

Langley seemed satisfied with that answer and instantly his demeanor changed and he was once again bouncing around in the cart seat. "Do you know what's coming in a few days?" Langley asked.

"No," Marston replied honestly, his mind still on that bastard banker and the way he'd been threatening Rose. "What's coming?"

Langley laughed. "Christmas! How could you not know that? Mama doesn't ever have money for a present from the store but she always make me a new sweater and I always smile real big and tell her it's the best one I've ever gotten."

Marston felt his throat get tight. Langley was lucky to have a mother like Rose—there weren't very many like her. "You're a good kid, Langley."

Langley sighed. "I wish I could get mama something this year. I never have been able to get her a present for Christmas."

"You can," Marston replied. "Just pick out something at the mercantile and we'll see that she gets it."

Langley shifted in the seat and looked up at him. "But Marston I don't have money—I can't steal a Christmas present!"

Marston couldn't see why that would be a rule but he didn't tell Langley so. Instead he smiled. "You do plenty of work around that house, Langley, and you've earned a bit of money."

Langley's excitement increased ten-fold and the boy launched into a rambling, longwinded dialogue about just what he was going to get for his mama. Marston simply sat there grunting in response now and then.

His mind was on things other than Langley's conversation such as that bankers threats toward Rose and the realization that Marston had no idea what in the world to buy for the woman.