Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

    It was late. Three days had passed since Rose's life had come crashing down around her. She was sitting on the porch, staring out at the moonlit forest, unable to force herself into the bed she had shared with Marston—she hadn't touched that bed since he'd been taken away. Rose didn't want to face the memories she'd have if she laid down where they'd made love so many times—but she was also worried that if she allowed herself to lay in a bed, she would never find it within herself to get back up. 

    A horse snorted, signaling someone's approach. Rose took up Marston's revolver and stood slowly. "Whoever is coming better speak now or I'll shoot and leave you laying." 

    That threat, coming from Rose, would have been an empty one not long ago but it wasn't empty any longer. Marston had taught her that when it came to protecting those you loved, anything went. She had promised the man she would keep their children safe and she intended to keep that promise. 

    "Woohoo! That'd be the first time I'd been shot to death by a pretty woman," Jeremiah's voice came through the night just as the shadow of him and his horse entered her line of vision. "Do you reckon you would nurse me back to health afterward?"

    Duke snorted. "That'd be pretty hard to do if you're dead." 

    Rose lifted the lantern beside her and both men stopped their horses and dismounted slowly, sharing looks of confusion. "Why exactly are you out here in the middle of the night alone?" Jeremiah asked. 

    "Where's Marston?" Duke added, recognizing the revolver in Rose's hand. 

    Rose broke down. The stress of the last few days became too much to bear. She hadn't had a break down since Marston had gone but no one could be strong forever. 

    Jeremiah and Duke shared a look of horror, neither experienced at handling sobbing women. Duke saw Rose's knees buckling and he leapt forward and caught her against his chest. He took the lantern from her trembling hand as she whimpered, sniffed and hiccupped against his shirt. 

    "Rose honey?" Duke asked, rubbing her back to comfort her the best he could. "Where's Marston?" 

    Rose took huge, gulping breaths attempting to calm herself. "They....they took.. him." 

    "Who took him?" Jeremiah demanded. 

    Rose pulled away from Duke's chest and swiped at her face. "The law." 

    Jeremiah's face contorted and he growled with murder in his eyes. Duke, however, seemed to soften at the word law and he put a gentle arm around Rose's shoulders. "Come on, now. Let's get you inside," he ushered gently. 

    Rose nodded and allowed him to lead her inside. Jeremiah scanned the yard and then followed them inside, closing and locking the door behind him. Duke sat Rose down at the table and took a seat across from her. "What happened, Rose?" 

    Jeremiah was pacing the floor and his boots woke Kaitlyn. "What's going on?" the girl asked as she sat up on the sofa and stared with fear in her eyes at the two men she had never before met. 

    Rose stood. "Kaitlyn, you go rest in my room, okay?" 

    Kaitlyn frowned. "But who are they? Are you they going to..." her face paled. "Are they going to hurt you?" 

    Rose shook her head and offered the most comforting smile she could muster, though she feared it was more a grimace than a grin. "They aren't going to hurt any of us," she assured the girl. "Jeremiah is Marston's brother and Duke was like a father to Marston." Rose frowned. "Is like a father to Marston," she amended. Marston wasn't dead yet. Her stomach rolled. Saturday was still five days away.