1. A Rocky Relationship

Have you ever read that book, The Fault in Our Stars? If you have then I know you'll understand when I say that falling in love with Maya was like falling asleep. It started slowly and then happened all at once.

I'd see her every once and a while, a Christmas party here and a ski lodge there but it wasn't until a foggy night in the middle of August that I realized the obvious; I was in love.

She was stranded at the Matthews' loft, the fog too thick to even attempt driving...and since I was there doing my laundry I too was stuck.

Of course everything happens for a reason.

"Is that calculus" she had asked, looking over my shoulder while I worked on homework that I had brought from my dorm.

I turn my head to look up at the curious blonde. She looked gorgeous as per usual, wearing a black crop top and pair of high waisted jeans. Her hair was up in a messy bun and her lips were pursed in thought as she continued to stare at my paper.

I clear my throat, hoping my staring wasn't obvious. "Uh yea." I squeak out.

She groans, plopping down beside me. "I can't even multiply fractions."

I chuckle. Maya and her fractions. "I could...help you sometime. If you wanted." Her lips quirk into a grin and I know in that moment that I'm so screwed.

By the following week we were dating after years of playing the long game and I finally learned what real love felt like.

I hadn't laughed harder, smiled wider or felt genuinely happier in my entire life.

It was obvious within months that I'd never be able to live without her but we were young, as everyone liked to remind us, so I waited until the time was right.

And then I proposed. It was nothing over the top or crazy, just us at a table outside of Topanga's and she giddily said yes.

"But why do we have to be outside?" Maya complains as we walk down the steps to the cafè. Of course the reason for the outdoor location was because inside, our families were waiting to jump out in celebratory fashion.

If she said yes.

"Just humor me" I insist earning an eye roll as we take a seat at one of the empty tables. "So."

"Yes?" She asks, resting her chin on her hands as she leans in to listen more closely.

"I was thinking maybe you could paint something to put behind the wedding party's table."

Her eyebrows furrow in confusion. "Who's table for what?"

My eyes widen in fake surprise. As if I just let a secret slip. Maya wasn't a gooey-sap like her best friend and so, this was going to be as unconventional as I could make it. "Oh shit. I knew I forgot something."

I pull a ring box from my jacket pocket and Maya's hands fly to cover her mouth in shock. "Joshua Matthews" she giddily laughs as I push the box open.

"Maya. I have been waiting to do this since the moment I met you. I know that I will never love anyone as much as I love you and I don't want to. Will you marry me?"

She squeals, jumping up and throwing herself at me. "Yes. Yes. Yes."

By the time we were both done with college we were walking down the aisle and saying our vows.