Chapter 4 | Talent x And x Teamwork

A tall, fat man named Buhara sat in front of the remaining applicants. His double chin and shirt that did not completely cover his wide stomach, reminded Michiko of her brother and she gagged once again. The woman who sat with Buhara was Menchi. She was dressed rather revealingly and had turquoise hair that had been tied up in five directions. The group of applicants was sure they had heard the woman incorrectly when she announced a cooking competition yet ten minutes later, they found themselves desperately trying to kill the most dangerous pig in the world, the Great Stamp.

Michiko walked behind Leorio, Kurapika, Gon, and her brother as they searched for any signs of pigs.

"Where are we supposed to even fin-" Leorio could not finish his sentence before Gon slipped and slid down a steep hill with his three friends in tow. Michiko bumped into Kurapika's back and she hoped he wouldn't notice the small blush that had crept on her face. Luckily for her, the group was interrupted by a loud chewing noise. They looked up surprised to see gigantic pigs chewing on bones.

"Don't tell me they're....carnivores?" Kurapika stated perplexed.

"AHH! RUN!" Leorio's obnoxious scream was projected throughout the forest and soon all the applicants were running away from the charging pigs.

Looking around at the others from a tree, Michiko noticed that no one was able to kill the pigs. Gon tried whacking one's snout with his fishing rod, but it was no use. She searched the stampede for a weak pig to target, however she was not successful. It seemed as if the pigs could not die. As Michiko jumped off the tree, she accidentally caused a few apples to fall onto a pig that stood below. The weary pig was easily knocked out, and Michiko finally had an idea. In one swift movement, she ran towards the pig. Using the same dagger as before, she jumped up and stabbed the top of its head, killing it.

"Michiko-san! You killed it!" Gon praised his new friend and soon, all the applicants were killing pigs for themselves.

<<<<<>>>>>

"No one passes!" Perhaps the only thing more annoying than the pigs, was Menchi's pickiness, "Except for #100! Only one applicant showed any willingness to take risks and try something new. Therefor, only #100 passes, and that is final."

Michiko's head darted up as she heard her tag number. She looked down at her dish that the picky judge had enjoyed. The young girl had cut the pork up, seasoned it and combined it in a salad along with pineapples and a light dressing. Michiko's feeling of accomplishment was short-lived as she soon felt envious stares on her. Being the only applicant who passed, people would naturally go after her for retaliation. She stood uncomfortably as applicants began destroying objects out of anger. However, the violence quickly stopped when a man's voice came from an airship above. The applicants looked up as they saw someone jump from the window and land on the exam site.

The dust surrounded the applicants, but Michiko immediately recognized the man as Netero, the Chairman of the Selection Committee. She remembered her grandfather Zeno telling her about the time he once fought Netero. Michiko had never officially met the man, but her family respected him.

After reasoning with the stubborn woman, it was decided that Phase Two would be redone, and Menchi was required to participate.

<<<<<>>>>>

The four peered down at the Spider Eagle's web through the huge crack in Mt. Split-In-Half. Below the webs, hanging in sacks was the key to passing Phase Two. Michiko watched as her three friends jumped down and the grasped the web.

Leorio felt nervous as the web stretched under the pressure of holding all the applicants. Suddenly, Gon yelled out and the three let themselves fall, grabbing an egg in the process.

"Michiko-san." Michiko turned around to see her friend, Kurapika, "did you want to try the egg?"

Michiko's smile grew as she tasted the heavenly egg, "Thank you, Kurapika-san."

"I also meant to congratulate you on finding a way to kill those large pigs." The blonde male smiled.

"Thank you, but it was accident. And besides, everyone hates me because I'm the only one who passed the first time."

Kurapika shook his head, "It's a natural reaction, but they will get over it. It's not your fault that you're talented, after all."

The girl laughed lightly and looked away. Kurapika smiled to himself. He swore he saw her blush.

A/N: As always, thank you very much for the increasing support. I apologize, as this chapter is more on the short side. [Edited 7.29.17]