Chapter 7 | Fond x Memories

A/N: There will be a subtle time skip to the Zevil Island part of the Exam simply because I believe the Hunter x Hunter series is a beautiful, yet lengthy work of art. With so many adventures to come, there is a lot of content I wish to cover, thus I must keep the story moving forward. I hope to conclude the Hunter Exam within the next few chapters, so that Michiko's next journey can begin.

I do hope to publish chapters more frequently. Please feel free to leave feedback and vote.

<<<<<>>>>>

Michiko stared down at the tag that read #301 as she sighed slightly in disgust. It seemed as if fate was determined to force her and her older brother to stay close. A slight tinge of fear washed over Michiko as she understood that Illumi would not be an easy target. She had fought him before with training, and it was safe to say that he won without using his full strength. She considered hunting for others' tags, but given that they were only worth one point, and she needed six, she figured she would go after her brother's after all. That combined with turning in her own ID would allow her to move onto the next phase.

Michiko sat in a comfortable silence as the remaining Hunter applicants rode the boat to Zevil Island. She gazed up at the vibrant blue sky and clouds that looked like cotton. She enjoyed breathing fresh air since she had been locked in a room with Gon and her other friends in Trick Tower for their fifty hour penalty. She admired all of them for their bravery fighting against the prisoners. Michiko never had a normal childhood, so when she looked at Gon and his endless desire for adventure, she couldn't help but admire him greatly.

The Zoldyck daughter watched as Illumi walked off the boat, two minutes following Hisoka. She was familiar with her brother's fighting style, and figured he would lay low and quietly stalk his target.

"The twentieth person may leave now!" the overly cheerful woman yelled. Michiko waved to Gon and her brother before leaving the ship. Killua watched as his younger sister walked into the thick woods. He worried slightly, as he did not know who would be targeting her.

Michiko sighed as she sat in a bush watching the man with needles sticking out of his face and body. She had been stalking her brother for two days now, and was certainly longing for a fight. It was not until now that her Brother had made a real appearance, and was talking to the clown that she was warned to stay away from.

"I have standards. I am not interested in people who don't serve a purpose." Hisoksa spoke to Illumi as he watched a man lay dead on the ground, with one of Illumi's needles sticking out of his neck. Michiko furrowed her brows as she wondered if this was why Hisoka expressed interest in her and Gon.

After a while, the clown left. Illumi stood and though it seemed as if he was staring off into space, he sensed his sister's presence.

"Do you intend to fight me, Michiko?" The man who spoke to Michiko had a raspy voice that annoyed the girl. Michiko cautiously stepped out of the bush to face her brother. Fighting him was a scary thought, but it had to be done.

"Take your needles out, Illumi. You look better without that disguise anyway." The girl spoke harshly, almost as judgmental as her mother, Kikyo.

"My dear Sister, you would judge me as if you were Mother? Though you supported Killua's rebellious nature?" Illumi began removing the needles in his face and soon, his huge black eyes and long dark hair were visible.

<<<>>>

It was a sunny day. A young girl tackled her brother in a field. She enjoyed being surrounded by different flowers, and having her hair blow in the wind.

"Gotcha!" she laughed loudly as she pinned him to the ground.

"I saw your attack coming from a mile away. You must work harder on concealing your presence."

The girl frowned, "I was just trying to have fun. Why must we always be training?"

"One day, you will be happy to have these skills. It could save your life. Do you understand, Michiko?"

The girl looked down, "What if one day, you leave for a mission and never come back?"

For a mere half second, Michiko watched as her brother smiled, "I will always be here to guide you."

"But how?" the girl questioned, as she lay contently among the flowers.

"One day, you will find out."

"Is that so, Illumi?"

"Yes."

The girl's face suddenly lit up, "Can I hug you now?"

The boy's stoic expression had returned, "Assassins don't need physical affection in order to be strong."

The young girl frowned once again. Ignoring her brother's emotionless remark, she wrapped her short arms around his body. The boy hesitated for a few moments before cautiously putting his arm around his younger sister. Michiko smiled to herself as she listened to birds chirp in the distance.

<<<>>>

Michiko ignored the blood that dripped down from her forehead. Illumi's needles were certainly hard to dodge. It was at this moment that the young assassin wished she had fought her brother more often.

"Give up, Sister." Illumi's voice was the only thing that could be heard in the dark forest. The sun was setting on the horizon and the breeze was chilly.

"You put a needle in Killua and I, to control us. Why? Did you really question our competence?" Michiko's frustration had turned to anger as she briefly stopped to question her brother.

"It was to protect you."

"From what?"

"From yourself."

Michiko shook off her angry thoughts. She had been taught by Illumi to stay away from targets stronger than her. She understood that she needed full concentration if she was to steal his tag. The two Zoldyck children faced each other with determined expressions. It was not hatred that fueled their wills, rather it was the desire to succeed because they understood that as with any battle, there is only one victor.

[Edited 12.29.17]