Chapter 5

Click

Click....Click....Click....
I woke up, desperately gasping for air as cold beaded sweated dripped down my thigh and soaked the bedsheets. That noise, the torturing, simple noise that could rip a person apart limb from limb.
'Click....Click....Click....' My mind repeated. That noise. It could turn a person insane. I grabbed my pillow, clutching it around my head in an attempt to blot out the noise. But when a noise is in your head, any attempt to blot it out is in vain.
'Thump , Thump , Thump' The pulse of blood to my head pattered softly. Its gone.
It's over. But the scars still ran deep. Maven. M for Malicious. M for Mysterious. M for Monster. M for Murderer. I tossed around in the bed. Alone. Cal had left me, chose the possibility of a crown over his supposed love for me. Cal. Cal for Callous. I shivered, his warmth no longer present to provide comfort. The wind swept through me bitterly, the chill of winter biting my numb fingertips. Corvium had no heating. I stared at the ceiling, the dim light of the approaching dawn making the peeling paint visible. Rise, red as the dawn.
'Thump , Thump , Thump' My blood rushed to my head. Red blood. I laughed coldly. Exactly, it was red. Since when did I disregard the idea all Silvers were scum? Since the kind hearted boy with pale skin gazed at me with those hopeful, wide blue eyes? After he pledged to fight for equality, running a hand through his curly black hair? That boy was now sitting in a palace as Reds slaved under his feet. Just another typical Silver.
'But what about that small, frail boy he was? The shadow?' The voice in my head pined. I shook my head. That boy was gone, I had seen that myself when trapped with him. That boy disappeared, and was replaced by a cruel monster. A cruel, helpless little boy warped into a monster by his manipulating mother.
The bed groaned and squeaked under my weight. I stood up, walking over to the thin window and peering out. I could slightly see the faint glow of the rising sun, illuminating the cold black sky with oranges and reds. I stared at the landscape, at the sterilised atmosphere of broken roads and metal wire littering the floor. Then I glanced over to Gisas bed. Empty.
'Has she gone down to snag some of the rations? She barely ate today' I wondered, walking to the door and opened it a crack. Snatches of a whispered conversation carried out through the brisk night air. A hushed giggle. I opened the door wider. And then I saw it. Gisa, But she had company.
How had I not known? I leant against the thin wall, breath misting as the icy breeze left my hairs standing on end. I breathed heavily. How had I missed this? How had I missed the signs? I stood routed to the spot. Thinking about it, it was clear. I had been gone a while. As we grew apart, they had bonded. Peering around, I watched them. He planted a shy kiss on her lips, followed by a gentle hug. Panicking, my mind spun. What should I do? What could I do? I moved quietly across the wooden boards. However, one board squealed in protest. I hopped into my bed, face flushing. I heard footsteps, and buried under the covers as the bed once again protested. The door opened, the sound of the buzzing dim light clearly audible.
"Mare?" Gisa said quietly - and rather shakily. She didn't want to be caught, just as I hadn't wanted to catch her. I could understand though. Bree and Tramy would begin playing the role of protective big brother, even though Gisa was clearly capable of looking after herself. I turned over to face the wall, murmuring as if asleep.
"Mare?" She asked again, her breathing less noisy. I shifted, groaning and sat up sleepily.
"Huh?" I asked stretching. I knew how embarrassed she would be if I brung it up now. I decided to wait.
"How long have you been awake?" She asked nervously, voice trembling and ready to be caught.
"You woke me up" I replied. A lie.
"Oh ok, well I'll be back in a second." She said hurriedly, before rushing out of the room. More whispers, then a kiss. Footsteps, and the sound of a door opening. Door closing. She reappeared at the door, face red. She sat down without a word onto her bed, before settling into it and shivering. Then silence. I tried desperately not to say anything, anything at all. But I couldn't refrain. I had to hear her explanation. I took a deep breath into the chilly air as she rustled about in her bed.
"I know about you and Kilorn" I said simply. More silence. Her silhouette sat up, and I could feel her eyes staring at me. I wondered what she was feeling right now. Confusion? Nervousness? Fear? She cleared her throat. Gasped for air.
"I'm sorry I didn't-"
"Sorry for what?" I interrupted. I was confused. Was I hurt about this? Hurt that they were together, or hurt I didn't know? I thought about it before deciding - the latter.
"I don't know" she answered quietly as I fiddled with my bedsheets anxiously.
"I don't mind it's just- you should've told me and - well I don't know. Let's discuss it in the morning?" I offered. I didn't know what I felt.
"Mm-hm" she said. I knawed on my bottom lip.
"Please don't tell mum and dad" she said, voice wobbling. All of a sudden, it was like she was a child again. The small, trembling sister I had to protect. I sat on her bed and hugged her tightly as her whole body wracked with muffled sobs.
"I'm so sorry" she blubbered, hot tears dripping onto my shoulder.
"What're you saying sorry for? I told you I was fine with it!" I soothed, running her back comfortingly.
"I know but," she pulled away, her green eyes glistening and hot tears streaking down her reddened cheeks,"I didn't know what you would think. I thought you and - and Bree, and Tramy, and dad, and mum, would all get angry at me" she explained.
"You're a grown woman Gisa, and you can make your own decisions. So, you really like Kilorn?" I asked, breathing heavily. I'd always had a feeling Gisa liked Kilorn. Even as I child she loved to be payed attention to by him, and looked up to him almost as much as she looked up to me. She had loved playing with him. But I didn't expect something to actually happen.
"I do. I really like him, Mare" she answered, sniffing as the tears lessened.
"Well then why would any one of us be mad? We want you to be happy"
"Well you keep leaving us and-"
"I know, I haven't been around a lot lately. But I'll try to be around more. I promise" I smiled, feeling like a protective big sister. Nothing will hurt her. Then realisation hit and tears stung my eyes. Why hadn't I known? Any good big sister - they would have known straight away.
'You keep leaving us' Gisas words echoed in my head. It hurt, and I knew she didn't mean for it to but-
I shook my head and gently pulled away.
"Try and get some sleep ok?" I said, giving her a smile. A mask. I got into bed and gazed at the ceiling. Mavens stupid speech was happening soon, Ella told me so. I still refused to watch him, to see him put on a mask and fake smile and morph into he boy I knew. That was my weakness.
'But why? He's a monster and you know that' my mind asked. I grumbled. I don't know. I shut my eyes, trying to stop the thoughts whirling around in my head. Pity was contagious, yet pity was for the weak.
I will not be weak anymore.

A/N: Ok I need to address a few things, one being if you think there will be lots of chapters in Mares P.O.V you are wrong (idk if that's good or not but seeing as I want to base this on Mavens feelings and thoughts....)
Secondly this story WILL go somewhere but remember to bear with me as I'm busy. Won't be on holiday much longer though so :)
Thirdly I have searched and searched the internet and CANNOT find Gisas eye colour! Someone help me out please XD
And fourthly (fourthly? Quadruply? Idk) I just felt Gisa and Kilorn needed to happen as the books subtly hint that Gisa has a crush on Kilorn.
Lastly, Can anybody recommend a song that would go with this chapter? Oh and I hope the length made up for the previous one :) bye!