Chapter 8.

My collar suddenly got tighter, and I attempted to ease it away from my neck

My collar suddenly got tighter, and I attempted to ease it away from my neck. A king should not be flustered, they should be strong, confident. But ever since Mare appeared, ever since my voice stumbled and halted, as if her speech was more important, ever since my heart thumped wildly at the sight of her...
I was a mess. Now, I focused on controlling my breathing as a wall of water rose behind the stormy figure striding my way. It was the first time since the Scarlet Guard broadcast that she had even looked at me; she has left me in a tangle of feelings for Mare and the fact I would someday have to inevitably kill her. Could I kill Mare? Her eyes flashed into my mind, making my breath hitch in my throat. I shook my head, muttering under my breath. I should be able to, after all that is what a strong king would do. What your mother would do. Suddenly my thoughts were interrupted, as shockingly cold water struck my ankles , throwing me off my balance. I gasped at the contact, looking up to see Iris' annoyance plastered on her stern face.
"How could this have happened?" She asked sharply, as I breathed deeply. Remaining my composure and my act, I smoothed my hair and smirked.
"Do not talk to me that way" I growled as her cold glare continued to evoke uneasiness from my heart. She looked me up and down, her lips frowning with disapproval.
"They will get the better of you, Mr Calore, just you see. Your feebleness will be the death of you" she snapped, before prowling away. I exhaled a breath I didn't even know I was holding, releasing the tension from my shoulders.
Returning to my room, I sat deep in thought.
'You are weak, I thought you were strong' My mother's voice clawed at the edges of my mind, unveiling insecurity, weakness, uneasiness, and a growing anxiety.
No. I was strong, and I must fight. I heard footsteps outside the door, the trembling hand reaching towards my door, the shaky gulp the servant took. I pushed all thoughts of my own aside, as the trembling hand knocked uncertainly on the door.
"You may enter" I answered stiffly, darting towards my chair and throwing a leg apon one armrest. The nervous servant entered, a man with slick and straight red hair and a gaunt face. He swooped into a bow, and a sigh of discontentment escaped my lips before I could stop it. The servant barely noticed, engulfed in his own value for his life.
"Your Majesty, there is an important message that is spreading across Norta-"
"Just tell me the news" I snapped impatiently.
"I um-Uh well Protelemus is rumoured to be,well, dead." The servant said.
I was struck by a million questions all at once. Who did this? When did they do this? Why? Confusion shrouded my thoughts. Suddenly I remembered the servant, who was pale and wide eyed.
'He is afraid,' my mother sneered, 'just like you.'
"You may go" I say to the servant, dismissing him with a wave of my hand. Relief crossed his face as he scurried out of my room, obviously glad he was not in my presence a second longer lest he fall to his knees.
My thoughts wandered back to Protelemus' death. This was all I could think about, and I spiralled into a slight obsession with it;conjuring theories. I knew that it wasn't my problem, however the person that did it may well soon be one. Iris barely spoke to me, growing distant day by day. By time she would only speak to me if she needed something or had advice, and this was always done with a disdainful voice and minor snarl.
Suddenly I knew what I had to do.
I had to talk to Mare.