Chapter 7

Farley stood, juggling little writhing Clara on her hip

Farley stood, juggling little writhing Clara on her hip. I was surprised she managed to pull her away from mum, who smuggled her with attention every 2 seconds. The screen was behind the camera, and we watched as Maven turned around and froze in horror, mouth agape. Farley shockingly blue eyes never left the camera as she smirked, pulling the black wig off. It hadn't really suited her. It had been Adas plan to use somebody as a servant for a week, so that they could really rattle Maven. It worked, as he realised in horror what was happening. I felt a flicker of guilt and sympathy, however forced it back down. I wasn't allowed to feel it, not now, when I was plastered on his screen. Every second counts.
"This is a broadcast from the Scarlet Guard, and we have an announcement, or rather a few things to clear up." Farley said, smiling icily at the lense.
"Firstly, the last time M-aven gave a speech, he stated we kill families,"I said, tripping over his name, "which you can clearly see is not true." I briefly turned towards Farley before returning to stare at the camera and continuing.
"We protect and fight to preserve precious families as family and community is important to us."
"We are not killers if not necessary. We fight for what is right, as after all how does the colour of our blood an excuse for a division? What makes us so different?" Farley asked, her short blonde hair blowing softly in the breeze. I admire her strength, her refusal to give up, and her loyalty to the cause. Where I had obliged to Mavens side like a beaten puppy when he held my leash. I felt ashamed, but enraged he had held my tether for so long. That I had let him. No more.
"Once this monster has answered the question and told us what separates us, then he should be eligible to give a speech worthy of us all. Until then we will wait and fight for equality." I stood , glaring at the blinking light on the camera. I hoped he could see my rage, my unforgiveness and my belonging. This is where I belong. The thought didn't come til the camera whirred and clicked, it's lens shutting and my stony , stern face naturally relaxing. Filming time over. We had done it. But the thought altogether confused me.
'But do you really feel that way about Maven? If he changed and begged for forgiveness, would you forgive? Would you forget the monster at the sight of those lost eyes?
...Would rage give way to pity?' My mind whirred, processing the thought. I paused in my step, staring at the water stained, cracked walls.
"Mare?" Farley asked as Clara hung off her hip with grabbing hands. I barely heard her, her voice distant and echoing. My mind revolved around that one question, uncertainty clouding everything but the question out of sight. Would I? Would I forgive and forget, and live the rest of my life laughing and talking to him? Or would I laugh coldly and watch as his eyes brimmed with tears and unspoken pleads for forgiveness? Would he fall to his knees with trembling lips or would he hug me tightly and thank me a thousand times over? What would I do?
"Mare?" A small slightly sticky hand shocked me into reality, followed by a rough yet slender hand. I gasped and looked into frosty eyes that was filled with sympathy.
"Look I know it must be hard-"
"Of course it's not" I laughed shakily.
"Don't be like -"
"Be like what , I'm fine , do I not look fine because I feel fine." I walked away speedily, avoiding the invisible gazes filling me with guilt. I still stopped when she spoke, however.
"Mare..." Farleys voice was gentle, filled with understanding and sympathy. I had never heard her speak this way before, and I surprised me. I heaved a breath.
"I'm fine." I wasn't sure why I said it ; I might have been trying to convince myself. I turned to look at her and her eyes shifted to the floor. My shoes echoed as I walked out of the room. Distraction. I needed a distraction. I feared through the building, blinded with tears threatening to spill my feelings. Why was I so sad? I ran into something, saw a blurred splodge of black and staggered back from the impact. Arms reached out to stop me, strong, muscular arms. I sniffed, wiping away the tears to stare up angrily at he owner of those arms.
"What do you want?" I asked, feeling childish but not caring.
"I-"
"And who even let you in" I craned round to he the perpetrator who raised his hands in mock innocence. Dammit Kilorn.
"Please just-"
"No" I stumbled away from his grasp and he gazed at me. His bronze eyes pools of hurt and rejection. I felt a stab of sympathy, but remembering what he did, what he chose, it didn't last long. Cal. Callous. Cal. Cruel. I heard a sigh behind him.
"Just hear him out it's important" Kilorn said. I glared at him, before looking at Cal. He took a deep breath.
"I think I know how to fix Maven." He said. His golden orbs beamed at me wth intensity, pride and a sense of overwhelming achievement. My heart pounded in my chest. Impossible. Nobody can fix Maven. All of a sudden, the dilemma radiating from that question became all too real. I was shocked. I fell into the wall behind me and found comfort in its cool and rough exterior. For winter, I was feeling the heat. It was stifling. My breathing became heavy.
"Impossible" I said, before fully regaining my voice and conscience. I turned my back on them both and ran. I didn't know where I was going , but all I knew was I needed to think. Alone.
"Mare!" Kilorn cried frantically. I didn't stop. I threw open a door and crashed into a tiny cramped room onto a pile of training mats. What would I do? I heard them and bolted the door, though I doubt it would help. The flimsy thing couldn't stop a toddler.
Suddenly, I heard a groaning noise, and watched in horror as the door hinges screws themselves flew out and the whole door came crashing down.
"You did it didn't you!" She screamed, tears streaking down her face twisted with rage and sorrow.
"I let you go and you promised!" She strode wildly towards me and I desperately kicked the floor, backing into the wall. Kilorn rushed in behind her, and after assessing the scene with wide eyes for a split second moved to restrain her. I heard a crack as she hit him in the nose without turning back, resulting in his nose gushing with blood. Her eyebrows knitted together in confusion. Her face shifted, display in her emotions. She was disgusted. She hated me. What was she talking about? What had I done? I didn't know, but I knew one fact. I was going to die for it.
"You killed him!" She screamed and realisation hit me. Ptolemus.
"I didn't-" I cried in protest, my voice filled with alarm. I hoped it reached her. She stopped in front of me as I dodged the screws flying towards me. Cal moved fast, grabbing her and pulling her away.
"You killed him! You killed my brother! You fried him! You-" she stopped, voice hitched in her throats as she fell down sobbing. She was a wreck. The sight of her sent memories flooding back, memories I didn't want to remember. I flinched as she gasped for air, back heaving and her whole body wracking with sobs that controlled her.
"I didn't-" I protested weakly, at a loss for words.
"Well who did then?" She looked up wildly, eyes full of anger and distrust.
"Why would I kill your brother when I know what that feels like?" My voice wobbled, and I struggled not to join her on the faded carpet. Her eyes shifted, carrying grief and once again she was distraught. That was worse. Not knowing who killed your own family. Not being there to his dying breath. At least she wasn't the cause of it. I watched her awkwardly, my mind exploding with so many events. I was exhausted. Her ragged breath made clouds in the air, and I looked down at my purple tinged, frost bitten fingers . I couldn't feel it, I was numb. My breath hitched as I watched Evangeline, the strong confident girl heap into a wreck at my feet. She still hadn't answered.
"I'm sorry" I said awkwardly, unsure of what to say. I wouldn't tell her I knew how she felt because I didn't, although both of our brothers had died it was different and my words wouldn't put an end to her grief, I knew that. My teeth chattered as I watched her silently sob on the carpet. I was sorry for her. Despite the fact I hated her brother, nobody should have to go through this. It wasn't him that was suffering. The question floated in my mind. Who did kill Ptolemus?