Chapter Thirteen

Adrian...

I blink weakly and look towards the door as it opens. Jennie steps in, cradling Norah in her arms. She looks towards me with a deep frown causing me to look away.
"You feeling better?" She asks me and I nod my head. I couldn't speak due to the tube that was down my throat. "I hate seeing you like this..." She whispers and I clench my eyes shut. I wanted to tell her I was sorry but I couldn't. I wasn't sorry. "Your mother went to pick up Xavier, she didn't want to tell Jasmine for obvious reasons..." She trails off and I open my eyes after a moment and stare at her. "Why Dri?" She asks and I attempt to blink back my tears. I hold my hand out to her and she gently grasps it. I squeeze my eyes shut and tighten my grip on her hand. "Do I not make you happy Adrian? Is me being there not enough for you?" She asks and I let fresh tears roll down my face.
"Ba-be," I attempt to speak but it comes out choppy.
"No Adrian do not 'baby' me." She says sternly and releases my hand.

"I'm going to get you some help, I don't care if you like I or not. After you leave this hospital we're finding you a therapist." She stares before the hospital door opens again.
"Hello you two." The doctor says with a light smile.
"Hello sir." Jennie says and shifts Norah to her other arm.
"Can I ask you to step out for a few minutes? I'm going to remove the tube from his mouth and I'm sure it's something you won't want to see." He says to Jen and she nods. She bends down and places a kiss on my forehead before stepping from the room. After the procedure is done he brings her back.
"Your mom is coming up with X." She says and I nod before licking my lips.
"Hand me that water baby..." I voice lowly and raspy.

She nods before grabbing the cup full of ice cold water. I grab it from her hands and bring it to my lips. I slowly sip the cool beverage and enjoy the soothing feeling it gives my throat.
"Daddy!" Xavier yells with a smile on his face as he comes into the room. I smile lightly and hand my cup back to Jen. He hops into my bed and crawls onto my lap.
"Hey man..." I say and he scrunched up his face.
"Why do you sound like that?" He asks and grips my face in his small hands. He inspects me intently making me chuckle.
"Cause my throat hurts." I mumble and he frowns.

"You're sick? That's why grandma brought me here?" He asks and I nod. "Your not sick like how Adri was right?" He asks another question and I clear my throat.
"No... I'll be able to go home soon." I say and he sighs.
"Good, because I didn't like hospitals after what happened to my sister!" He says and Jen pouts. My mother grabs Norah from her and kisses her chubby cheek. "Can I hold her after you grandma?" Xavier asks and she nods.
"There getting your release papers ready. Are we taking X home with us or his he going back with you Joyce?" Jennie asks my mother and she shrugs.
"Whatever he wants to do is fine wit me." She replies before setting the baby into X's arms.
"You wanna come home with me or grandma?" I ask as I rub my fingers through his trimmed curls. I already knew the answer to the question.
"Go home with you." He says and I nod.
"Alright, I'm going to call Jasmine and tell her he'll be staying with you for a couple of days." My mom says before pulling out her phone and stepping from the room.
...

I climb into my bed and close my eyes. I hear Jennie struggling to put the baby to sleep but stay mute. After a while of hearing Norah scream I decide to get back up. I sigh deeply and get back up from the bed. I lazily walk from the room and down the hallway.
"Sh..." Jennie coos to the wailing child and rocks her in her arms.
"Let me see her ma." I mumble and she quickly turns around.
"I didn't know you were in here." She says as she hands me our daughter. I hug her against my chest and pat her back softly.
"You tried feeding her?" I ask and she nods before sitting down in the rocking chair.
"Yes Adrian, I don't know what she wants." She says as her eyes close. I stare at her for a moment before exiting the room.
"What's the matter with my baby girl?" I mumble into her small ear and her crying begins to settle. "Oh you just wanted daddy huh?" I smile and pull her back to look at her face. I travel down the hallway and make my way back into the room. Her cries finally come to a halt and I chuckle.

"You're such a fusser." I say and lay back down into my bed. I lay her next to me and turn towards her. I bring my hand to her face and wipe away her tears. She begins to babble lightly and slob on her hands. Another smile spreads across my lips as I play in her soft hair.
"All it takes is you to get her to stop crying." Jennie's voice sounds from the doorway.
"I don't know why she's like that..." I say as I continue to watch Norah.
"She loves her daddy..." Jen says as she climbs into the bed. I turn on my back and she straddles herself on my waist. I grip hers in my hands and I caress it.
"That she does." I smile and she gives me a light one. Her body bends down and she places a soft kiss on my lips. "I'm sorry baby..." I finally apologize and she holds my face in her hands.
"Me too..." She says and I furrow my brows.
"For what?" I ask and she lays herself flat against me.
"I wasn't paying enough attention to you. I don't try to help you sooner." She says and I clench my jaw.
"You're not about to blame yourself for how I'm feeling and how I chose to deal with it." I say and I feel her tears begin to hit my neck.
"I love you so much Dri..." She whispers and I begin to rub her back. I hook Norah under my arm and hold both my girls as they slowly begin to drift to sleep.
_______________________
Who here actually ships Adrian and Jennie? 🌚 comment/vote 💓