CHAPTER EIGHT: Signs of good fortune

Silence is gold. king Vladmir smiled internally while he watched his sons stand up before him. He already heard their ranting from the hallway, so the silence didn't really make much difference to him. Though secretly, he took small pleasures from it. When your presence commands silence, who wouldn't? Sadly for many, only powerful men had such gift and unfortunately for the ironlands he was one of those men. He took a brief moment to look at the faces of his four older sons. They didn't seem too happy to see him and he didn't care to think why. He was in a good mood today and wasn't about to let cruel faces spoil that for him.

"Your grace." His sons said him with slight bows.

The king and queen strode past them to sit on the two chairs at the high end of the table. His sons took to their sits after them, all except for Regon who just stood before them. Vladmir , sensing his son's awkwardness, nodded to him in approval, and Regon slowly walked to the table, occupying the closest vacant chair available. His sons intershock as they watched their step-brother take a sit among them was even more conspicuous than he had imagined.

Their dislike for Regon was old news, he had always known his preference of Regon would strike a shroud of envy amongst his other sons. He was too smart not to know this, and yet he did it anyway. He could already sense his older sons staring hard at him now, waiting for him to make them understand what was happening. But why would he?

He was king and they were not.

"Father?" Daharis said, breaking the loathing silence. "This is the high council meeting, is it not?"

"Is this not the high council?" Vladmir asked, his voice calm, authoritative.

"Yes....but -" He stammered.

"Then yes," Vladmir continued. "This is a high council meeting." He looked towards Dregon who sat close to him. "What about you Dregon, any clever question for your father?"

Dregon stared straight into his eyes. "None your grace."

Vladmir smiled. Amongst all his sons, Dregon was the only one who could look his father straight in the eyes without the slightest appall. Very few prospects impressed him and his son's boldness was one of them.

"And you two?" Vadmir said, staring at Voharis before shifting his searching eyes towards Baelon. They both said nothing, and he wasn't surprised at all. Voharis was afraid of him and Baelon, well, he was afraid of everyone.

Since no one had anything else to say he continued."I have appointed your brother, Regon, title of highlord. He will be joining us in the high council meetings."

The king waited for a rebellion but recieved none, so he went on. "In due time, I will give him a position well suited for his talents."

"Your grace," Dregon said respectfully.

The bold one finally speaks. Vladmir sighed.

"I don't think it will be wise to give Regon a position in the high council." Dregon continued, "He is still too young."

"You don't think it will be wise eh?" Vladmir asked, his tone full of sarcasm. "Perhaps you are the wise one now, perhaps you are king now." He looked towards his sons, giving them an awkward smile.

"No your grace, I only meant to advice you."

"If I needed-"

"My beloved." Mira interrupted, laying a hand gently on his arm. "We have good news, have you forgotten?"

"Oh yes!" Vladmir said, How could I ever forget.

"What good news?" Daharis asked curiously.