Unravel

Sherlock and I say goodbye to Morgan and Miles. Once outside the restaurant I take a deep, calming breath. I'm trying to prepare myself for what's to come. I think back to the day I officially met Sherlock face to face after he saved me. He had told me that he had solved the case. I had just left it at that because I was too upset to bring up what had happened.

We begin walking down the side walk. I watch his face. His profile is so breathtaking. He's got his coat collar pulled up and it rests just below his prominent cheek bone. On the outside he doesn't look so intense. He suddenly turns to look at me. I just stare at him, trying to read him. "We're home." I turnaround and realize we're standing right outside 221B.

"We need to talk." I say after we enter the flat. Sherlock slips off his coat and takes a seat in his leather chair. "I agree. You should sit." I remain standing in the middle of the lounge as John walks in.

"How did the whole double date go? Sherlock isn't bleeding so I assume it went better than I expected."

I give John a small smile. "Sherlock and I need to talk."

"I'll put the kettle on." John says making his way back into the kitchen.I lean against the chair opposite Sherlock and breathe in slowly.

"Eliza was my best friend. She was into some sketchy shit. She had always been a bit of the rebellious type. When I told her that my sister and I were moving to London she immediately demanded that she come with us; that her and I could finally be roommates like we were supposed to be at university. I just thought she didn't want to be left in that small ass, deadbeat village all alone, so I agreed. So long she kept out of trouble. I should have told her to stay, she would've been safer there. Not even a week had passed after we moved when she started acting different. She was the type of person who would try anything once. But once became twice and so on.The day before the fire I confronted her about the needles in her bag and discovered all the marks on her bruised arms. She started crying and saying she owed a load of money to her dealer and he was getting pissed and threatening her. I wanted to go to the police and get her in the hospital but she wouldn't let me. She packed her things and left no matter how much I pleaded with her. Early the next morning our apartment building was in flames. I was still asleep. By the time I woke up I could barley breathe. I had made it out of my bedroom before I passed out. I assumed the fire was a warning or a way to kill Eliza but she didn't get the message because she was already gone, God knows where, and I was left to deal with her bullshit. Business as usual."

 I finish explaining everything. I finally sit down crossing my arms in a way to comfort myself. I'm still angry at Eliza and I'm even more angry that I have to bring all this up. What upsets me most is I haven't heard from her since that night. I've tried looking for her. For all I know she's dead. I find myself just staring at my feet but I can feel Sherlock's eyes on me.

"No."Sherlock says quietly but firmly. I glance up at him. "What do you mean no?"

"That isn't what happened."

I sit up a little straighter. "Are you saying that was an inaccurate account of my own memories?"

"Of course not. John would you mind helping me explain all of this to Sage?" Sherlock asks as John walks in carrying our tea.

"Why are you dragging John into this?" I nearly yell. I begin feeling ill. Not even a half an hour ago I was worried Sherlock was going to be upset because I had never, in the three years that we've been together, mentioned my best friend. Someone I was very close to for most of my life. To be fair he has kept quite a few secrets from me as well so I don't know why I was so nervous about telling him. But now it seems the tables have turned. John places a gentle hand on my shoulder and hands me a warm mug of orange tea. My favorite. Sherlock takes his and John sits down at the desk. It's silent for a moment more. Then Sherlock speaks.

"Eliza Ferris was our client."