three

The summer air was warm on my skin. The light breeze carried my raft around the pool. It chilled my skin, which I was thankful for. It acted like a barrier between the harsh sun and my skin. The smell of chlorine and sunscreen danced in the air and hung low like smoke. My skin tingled as fresh water was pushed into the raft by the ripples of the other inhabitants of the pool. Music hummed in my ears and I could hear the familiar sounds of chatter and laughter.

The skin on my arms and legs felt aflame with the heat of the summer sun. My eyes fluttered as I adjusted my sunglasses. The plastic of the pink raft burned against my fingertips. I dipped my hand in the cool water which battled with the contrasting heat of my skin. I stared at the red nail polish as it dipped under the cool blue of the water. It was fascinating how the light rays bended in the swimming pool. It cast small little rainbows on the ground of the pool.

I withdrew my hand from the water and held it above me blocking the sun. The sun peeked around the curves of my hand. I pursed my lips and enjoyed the lingering sour sweet taste of lemonade. The song that was playing was upbeat and pop sounding, but I could not place the title or the artist. I find that my toes wiggled to the beat though. I stretched out on the raft which caused more frigid water to rush underneath me. Bumps rose on my skin.

Someone jumped into the pool and showered me with water droplets. My whole body contracted as the water made contact with my skin. My brows furrowed in irritation at that person's immaturity. My mom had always told me that I should expect to get splashed in the pool, but I still hated when water is thrown on me against my will.

I wiggled against the raft and adjusted my swim suit. I sighed as I relaxed once more; shutting my eyes. Someone knocked into my raft which sent it floating in another direction. I understood that this was a party and that others were in the pool, but seriously? Usually, someone would apologize if they knocked into people.

I felt the grit of sweat and salt as it rested on the top layer of my skin.  I was attempting to keep my hair out of the water. I had managed to tie my hair into a messy knot on the top of my head. I could feel the soft baby hair at the base of my neck curling with the humidity. I lazily moved my hand through the water; which propelled me in different directions.

I loved summer; I lived for it. The vibrant greens of the grass that contrasted with the deep blue of the sky. So many good memories happened in the summer, and for whatever reason all of them seemed to be encrusted in a golden hue in my memory.

My eyes skimmed the pool deck. The party was crowded. I was surprised to see that many people were still outside of the water. The heat of the sun had been at its peak and I felt the beads of sweat as they developed on my hairline, decorating it as if it was a glistening crown.

My gaze flickered to a tall boy who stood in a small group. I watched as he threw his head back in laughter.  He crossed his arms across his chest, which caused the t-shirt he had been wearing to tighten around his biceps. He had been wearing white swim trunks that had contrasted drastically with his tanned legs. I had found myself staring at the boy with the curly brown hair. The way his dimples had developed in his cheeks every time he smiled or laughed.

And oh, how he laughed.

When he would throw his head back, his whole face would light up. It was such a joyful thing to watch. But I had looked away, because I had been taught that staring wasn't polite.

So instead of staring at the boy I had stared at the clouds. The cotton-like puffs drifting through the extraordinary blue of the sky. I had tried to keep my eyes from drifting back to the beautiful boy that had stood just yards away from me. I tried to ignore the nagging feeling in the back of my head to glance at him once more. In hindsight, I probably could have fought it harder, but I gave in and glanced out of the corner of my eye. The boy was gone.