VII. Comfort

Year: 2011

It was a day like any other or what Camila was getting used to anyway. It was raining like it usually did in their hometown but the rain just reminded her of the day of the crash and so it didn't really help.

She was on the hospital bed fiddling with her pale like fingers and all she could think about was that it was her fault and it was just a dark night and she needed a ride and now she was gone.

And she thought it was all her fault.

"Oh you're up," the nurse said and she looked like she was filled with songs and cheery tones and giggles but all Cam wanted to hear was silence but people kept talking to her.

"We're just going to re-bandage your leg and then we'll get you some food..." but the rest was tuned out because all she could think was late nights and shattered windows with red painting the glass.

And all she could do was cry and she believed that she had never cried so much in her life because she was usually filled with toothy smiles and wise words.

But today was just a big mess.

So as she watched the nurse bandage her leg, she tried to keep her mind off her mom but it was hard when everything reminded her of her.

"All done," she smiled before checking everything else to make sure there was no infection or anything before leaving Cam in the dark room with the sound of the pitter patters of the rain.

She refused to see anyone other than Harry because everyone in her family resembled her mom and she was trying to forget about her.

So when Harry knocked on the door she turned to look at him but instead of the forced dimples that were on his face and the semi bright green eyes, they were red and his lips were chapped and shaking.

And Harry was usually was filled with smiles and dimples and bright green eyes with a colourful mind.

But now he was dull.

"Hi butterfly," he mumbled and she wanted to ask him what was wrong and if everything was okay because he didn't have his usual dimples.

But she couldn't speak or sobs would evoke from her throat so she beckoned him to come with gestures.

"I um... you probably don't want to hear what I'm about to say. It'll be selfish to tell you after what you've been through." And he tried not to ramble or stutter because it would show that he was weak and really wanted to be strong for her.

But Cam beckoned him to continue with a kiss to the cheek and her eyes only gazing at his red ones.

"My parents divorce was finally finalized," he mumbled. "And my dad left... I don't know where he went."

And he felt so selfish to even be tearing up about this because his girl was grieving over her mum and all she could think about was crashes and shattered glass with red painting over it.

"I-I'm sorry," he inhaled then exhaled. "It's just... I don't know I thought they would make it... they were the couple I thought that would stay together."

But they weren't .

And he wasn't so sure if they should get married or not.

Neither did Cam.

"It's selfish to be telling you this but... I have no one to talk to and- and I'm sorry-"

But Cam only hugged him because at the end of the day they were still Cam and Harry and at the back of her mind it would always be Harry Harry Harry.

And in the back of Harry's mind it would always be Cam Cam Cam.

And Cam was glad that he told her so he wasn't swallowed up by his own grief with no one to talk to.

So they stayed on the hospital bed that was really made for one person but due to Cams tiny figure they somehow made it work.

No words were uttered just the sound of their cries and the warmth of each other even though they both felt cold inside.

"Do you think we'll make it?" He asked and he felt so vulnerable because everything he thought would last, didn't and he didn't know if they'll last anymore like he thought they would.

"Love you," she only said as those were the only words she was able to utter because she didn't really know anything anymore.

"Love you too."

So they stayed in each other's arms enjoying the heat of each other even though they felt cold inside with the rain pitter pattering against the window.

And all Cam was thinking was death and crashes and shattered glass coloured with red.

While all Harry was thinking was false hope and how time was running out and that there was no forever.

But they tried to forget about that as all they needed right now was comfort

a.n// that was like the shortest chapter ever and I apologize for that. I really didn't know what to write for this chapter which explains why there's no flashback but you know it's a short story don't judge me. four chapters left plus epilogue.