A Prince in Waiting

"Once upon a time there was a lovely Prince. But he had an enchantment upon him of a fearful sort. This could only be broken by love's first kiss. He was locked away in a castle guarded by a terrible fire breathing dragon; many brave knights had attempted to free him from this dreadful prison, but none prevailed. He waited in the dragon's keep in the highest room of the tallest tower, for his true love and true love's first kiss."

A woman read to her child, who watched her with big doe eyes. Her smile becoming gentle as the young child begged her to read it again.

"Keith, this is the tenth time we've read this." She giggled, the woman was figment of true beauty; her name was Krolia Kogane.

"But I like it a lot! The poor prince forever cursed and locked away in a tower. It must get lonely," Said boy replied somberly, before a goofy grin lit up his childish features. "Someday, when I grow up, I'll venture fourth and rescue him myself."

Soft chuckling was heard, and Krolia just lovingly ruffled her son's hair. "That's my boy. You make sure and introduce me you hear?"

He giggled, ears twitching at the gesture. "Yeah, and when I save the prince, I'll ask him to marry me!"

The woman raised a curious brow, smiling. "Is that so?"

"Yep, He's very pretty for a boy." He answered, scrunching up his nose.

"Why yes, he is indeed. Good eye son."

"Thank you, mama!" He huffed with pride, puffing out his chest.

"Now, isn't time you've head off to bed?"

He pouted, but did as he was told. His mother tucked him away in bed, and planted a good night kiss on his temple. "Sleep well I'll see you in the morning."

Keith awoke, inwardly frowning at the dream that now was mere memory. It's been 10 years since he last seen his mother and he had missed her dearly. He could recall the first few months, where he spent his time crying, waiting, and hoping. He let out a low snarl, and went about his day—there was no point in getting emotional. Everyone by now knew about the unfortunate altean prince who had been cursed the moment he was born. Lance was his name apparently, youngest brother to Princess Allura, and son to King Alfor and Queen Rosalyn.

No one really knew what he transformed into. There were rumors ranging from him becoming a hideous tentacle like beast, with many eyes and disfigured face to transforming into some sort of mythical horned creature. None were accurate though and were yet to be confirmed by anyone. Keith scoffed, why did he even want to marry that guy anyway? He only saw him once in his life, and that was when the young Prince was escorted to his new castle, to be locked away. He could remember what the boy looked like quite clearly.

White messy hair, shining deep azure hues, tan skin and light blue altean markings.

Needless to say he became smitten. As a child he imagined being the one who rescue the prince and make him his husband; what a foolish dream it was. He huffed as he began cleaning around his small shack that he called home. Sure it wasn't big as your average elite houses but it held enough room for a family of three. He longingly stared at the photos of his parents on the nearby nightstand. He sighed wistfully, there's no point in getting depressed, and it's already been a deca-phoebe since then.