Chapter 2: The Dream

Seth

     As Seth entered the high school he took a moment to take in his surroundings. The main room was a huge square. In the center of the area sat an inner square of hard wood floor and tables that would be used at lunch. The area around the hard wood floor was carpet and several trophy cases lined the wall. Also there were metal slated walls that Seth knew was where they served food. He needed to find the auditorium which despite having gone to orientation he had no idea where it was.

      He would've thought more about it but just then he heard a sound that he recognized from his younger years when his mother had him in fencing/ swordplay classes. It was the sound of a sword sliding from its sheath. Seth tensed and without thought he launched himself into a somersault forward. A white leaf shaped blade sank into the ground where he had just been.

       Seth came out of the somersault kneeling and turned to face his attacker. Behind him stood a African American about five foot six with brown eyes and black curly hair. He was about Seth's age maybe a few years older, wearing a white shirt and blue jeans with white Nike tennis shoes. Well they were supposed to be white Seth would guess. Right now they were covered in mud and grass, his t-shirt was ripped in several places and his pants were frayed and slashed. The rips looked suspiciously like claw marks. Seth could tell by looking at the guy that he was no one to mess with.

       The sword in his hand looked heavy. It was about three feet long and three inches wide, it had a razor sharp edge and a sharp point. The handle was wrapped in leather and a white rock was laid in the pommel. The entire sword was white. The kid scowled and pointed his sword at Seth. Seth was admittedly afraid of this scary looking kid, even more than he had been scared of the demon. The kids' scowl deepened then he spoke in a deeper voice than he should've had.

      "How did you get in here demon!" he demanded as he took a step forward. Seth was confused by this,

      "Demon?" he asked. "I am no demon." The kid's eyes widened a little and he slowly lowered his sword.

     "You're not a demon," he decided.

     "Of course I'm not. The only demon I know of is the one who just chased me half way across town trying to kill me!" Seth exclaimed, his voice sounding more scared than he knew he was. "Who are you?" Seth asked nervously.

     "My name is Strat Bannot not that it matters to you," he replied curtly. "But if you're not the demon then who are you? Are the one Joseph was after, the 'special one'" The kid Strat demanded.

      "I don't know what I am but I did meet a Joseph at the school."

     "When, where!" the kid exclaimed. Seth shook his head he didn't know how long he had been running. The thought of how long it had been brought unexpected exhaustion, and he almost collapsed. Strong arms steadied him,

    "Whoa there you're quite exhausted aren't you?" Strat's voice said. By now the full effects of his run had started to take effect. "Stay awake you," the voice said, "we're almost there." Seth hadn't realized he'd passed out. The darkness around his conscious began to move in again as he struggled to stay awake. He felt like there was something he needed to tell the kid but his mind was muddled in this state and there was no way he would be able to remember. So he let himself drift into a deep soothing sleep.

     Dreams found him then and the dreams were ones he recognized. First was a dream from the earliest memories of his child hood. A man and women stood over him in the cradle as a baby. He immediately recognized his mother with her brown flowing hair and stern, loving blue eyes that seemed to scan him. The man he didn't recognize at all except for the loving look in his eyes. He had an angular face with fine boned cheeks and slightly pointed ears. His black hair went down to his neck. He had a well- muscled build that was bulky nut more for agility. When he spoke it sounded sweat like a good song and it made Seth feel warm all over.

     "He'll be more like you than me," the man said.

      "I know," Seth's mother replied in a delighted tone.

     "You make sure to watch over him in case he develops the power. I can sense great power in him already." Seth's mother turned serious as she looked at the man.

    "Do you really think he will develop the power?" she asked. The man nodded

     "I have no doubt he will, but don't rush him. Allow him to enjoy a normal childhood as best you can. Because when his power surfaces he will have no time to be normal again." Seth's mother nodded back

   "Of course," she said her voice now a little wistful. "I just wish you didn't have to go." The man sighed

    "Let's let him sleep and talk in the living room," he said then he smiled, "sleep tight my boy and goodbye." With that they left taking whatever light was in the room with them.

    The dream began to fade as Seth was awakening.