4◇ THE BITE

RILEY'S MOM WAS currently signing the girls permission slip to the Oscorp Labs. It was an optional trip for anyone wanting to learn about genetics and go forward in the chemistry field. But most wanted to get out of school and homework for the day.

Riley being Riley had left it last minute. The trip was today. Her mom had gotten slightly annoyed that she had left it for the morning before telling her about it. This resulted in Riley having to beg for the woman to sign it, saying how she would be the only one not going. She even went as far as making her mom a cup of tea to tempt her.

But she managed to get her mom to sign it, and that was what she was waiting for now.

"Do I need to pay?" Her mom sighs, ticking the boxes that ask for medical information, of which Riley has none.

"I dont think so. Peter said that the school is covering the trip." The girl answers, stroking the dog that is currently lying over her legs.

"Alright then. Next time, hand me the form before the day you go." Her mom tells her and she nods with a smile.

"I will." Riley answers and takes a sip of coffee from her mug before picking up the form and her school bag and heading to the door.

"I think we get back at the normal time, but I'm heading to Peter's for a bit after. If that's okay?" She asks her mom, the woman nodding her head.

"Yeah that's fine. I won't be home till a bit later anyway so you do what you want." The lady tells her daughter. Riley thinks nothing of it and nods her head.

"Okay. Have a good day, mom." She tells the lady and kisses her cheek.

Like Riley, her mother was in a slightly dull place. With it recently being a year since her dad died, there was a slight tension in the house. Riley wasn't surprised that her mom wanted to get out of the house.

Laura Summers never properly got over the death of her husband. She hasn't gotten rid of any of his things. She still sleeps on her side of the bed. Even work has been difficult.

Laura is a midwife. She wanted a job which helped people, but also had a sense of achievement. And bringing life into the world was the best way to go.

But she hadn't been working as much as she should have over the past year. The death of her husband had taken quite the toll.

Riley strokes Tessa before grabbing her house keys, knowing she would need them if her mom is out, and opens the door to Peter, already waiting for her.

"How are you feeling today?" The boy asks her as she closes the door and steps down the stairs.

"Better, thanks. You ready for today?" Riley asks, attempting to change the subject from her father to the trip.

Peter notices the change and accepts it, knowing that Riley wouldn't want to talk about something like that so soon.

"Yeah. I feel like it's gonna be fun, you know?" He smiles and pulls his bag back over his shoulder and follows his friend down the road.

"Sure. I'm only doing it to get out of school, to be honest." The girl smirks, earning a shake of the head from her friend.

There was no use in lying to Peter that she was going for educational purposes. Hes known her too long to be able to see through her lies.

"Fair enough. I'm planning to get some good photos though." He smiles and shows her his old camera in the bottom of his bag.

"Nice." She smiles and they cross the road to the train station.