6◇ A VIGILANTE

IF RILEY THOUGHT her life was going to get better, easier, she was far from right. It only got more complicated, confusing.

The day after the match, which went really well considering it was the first match of the season, videos of a masked 'hero' started surfacing first on YouTube, and then all over social media.

Riley was amazed, to say the least. This person, whoever they are, is able to stop busses with their bare hands, fight crime on a daily basis, and save normal people, all whilst wearing what seems to be a red and blue jumper and trousers. Accompanied by a red mask with goggles. It was incredible!

This 'hero' is all that is talked about in school. Everywhere she went, Riley would be hearing of the red and blue hero that saves the town. She was surprised that she wasn't searching this person up. Because that's what she would have done, if she was that interested.

She had more important things to worry about. Like decathlon, and homework, and why her mom was coming home later than usual. At least Peter was back in school. He didn't seem at all interested in this new hero either.

As she sat at the back of her math class, she couldn't help but notice some people in front of her watching a new video of the 'hero'.

Maths was starting to get boring, so she decided on watching it from behind them. She should really be paying attention to the teacher, but this video seemed genuinely interesting.

The 'hero' just stopped a car from hitting a bus with their bare hands! It was pretty cool, Riley had to admit. And the video was pretty recent. Who knows who was videoing this person!

The bell rings and the guys in front pocket their phones, ending the video and Riley's interest. She packs away her book and equipment before following the sea of students out of the class.

It was now lunch. Everyone had smiles on their faces at the thought of food. But instead of heading to lunch, she heads to her locker to put some books away.

She pushes past eager students, trying to reach the cafeteria, and reaches her locker with a roll of her eyes. People these days. Always on the move.

Riley pulls open her locker and replaces her physics book with her maths book. She sighs. Today has been so long. She just wants to get home and catch up with her best friend.

"Hey, Riley!" She hears a happy voice from beside her and turns to come face to face with Tyler.

"Tyler, how was chem?" Riley asks the girl who is currently leaning up against the locker next to her. She smiles as Riley closes her locker and turns to face her.

"Sciencey. Can I sit with you guys today?" The girl asks, pleading with her eyes. Riley smiles. She had only known the girl a little less than a day. But her mom always told her to make new friends. A new addition to the group couldn't hurt.

"Sure. They're probably all in there already." She smiles and hoists her bag on her shoulder before following after a smiling Tyler.

"Thanks!" The girl smiles and holds open the door to the cafeteria. Riley smiles in thanks before heading over to their usual table and sitting down next to Peter.

"Hey." He smiles and moves his back off of the seat next to him so she could sit down. She smiles.

"Thanks. What you looking at?" Riley asks Gwen and Harry, both looking with intense curiosity at her phone.

"This!" Gwen exclaims and shows the girl her phone. Riley sees a blur of red and a car being stopped.

"Oh. Cool." She smiles and looks down. Peter fidgets in his seat when he sees the video, however Riley doesn't notice.