10◇ FORGETTING

My new cover is made by the incredible MayGarner go check out her books! She's incredible!

RILEY NEVER KNEW that younger brothers could be so comforting in times of upset. When she arrived home after being with Peter, completely in tears, it wasn't Laura that came to talk, it was Jaeden.

He told her that Laura had gone out moments before she arrived, not knowing where, and he sat with her whilst she vented her frustrations about Peter. About trust and friendship, about secrets and lies. She left out the important parts like the bite and his changes.

But Jaeden sat and listened for what must've been an hour, giving her tissues and comforting her like an older brother, despite being a couple years younger than her.

Riley decided not to see Peter today. She didn't want to talk to him at all, not after all the lying and the secrets he's been keeping from her. She needed a break. So that's what she's having.

She slept in for the first time in a while, always used to a routine. But not today. She woke up late and felt great about it. She ate breakfast in her pyjamas and showered after instead of before. It was all so out of sync but she didn't care.

Jaeden wasn't even up yet, so she didn't have to worry about uncomfortable small talk or a full blown conversation. Because Laura was out, Riley technically had the house to herself.

Thank god it was Saturday.

The first thing she decided to do, was take Tessa for a walk. It clears her mind and relaxes her, nothing like the cool breeze and grass to comfort her nerves.

"Right, come on Tessa. We're going for a walk." She calls for her dog, who comes speeding into the lounge, her lead in her mouth. Riley chuckles. She adores this dog.

She clips the lead to her collar and quietly exits the house, not wanting to wake her brother or her mom. Laura would know where she is, seeing that Tessa would be gone.

Tessa leads the way to the park, Riley following after her. She sighs into the crisp air, looking up at the blue morning sky with a couple birds flying here and there.

Her phone buzzes for the umpteenth time.

From: Peter
Please answer. I wanna talk. Please Riley

Riley reads the text and sighs before pocketing her phone. He'd been texting her non stop over the last few hours, trying to talk. But she didn't want to, for the first time in forever.

He'd lied. He'd kept secrets from her. And he couldn't make it up to her through a text. She needs an explanation. A huge one. An explanation she probably wouldn't get. He'd apologise and tell her to forget what happened and move on. But she couldn't and she wouldn't let him.

She reaches the park and lets Tessa off of her lead, the staffie bounding across the grass, chasing some birds. Riley makes her way up to the bench, hers and Peters bench. The one where she sat by Ben for the last time.

She sighs and sits down, pulling out her phone and deciding to text Peter. He needs to know she's serious. That she needs time and doesn't want to talk.

To: Peter
No, Pete. I don't wanna talk right now. Give me some space. Please. I'LL let you know when I wanna talk.

She sighs and hits send. It was harsh, but he needed to know that what he did upset her. That it vanquished a tiny but of trust she had for him. Not all of it, but just a little. What friend keeps secrets from their best friend?