Chapter 2

Today was initiation day. Today was the day that we chose where we would spend the rest of our lives. Today I would leave my aunt. Today I would be where I belonged. I would forget the scars on my back and legs, and start a new life as a Dauntless. I could act myself and be myself, without worrying about what people would think of me.

~•~•~•~•~

"Gloria Matranga, from Abnegation." The Candor man announced. An abnegation girl stood up, and cut her palm with the knife on the table. She walked to the Abnegation bowl and let the blood drip down in the bowl. The Abnegations politely applauded, and soon quieted down for the next person.

"Airazela Matthews, from Erudite." I heard my name called, and confidently walked to the bowls, taking the knife in my hand. I slit my hand, not feeling the pain, and walked to the Dauntless bowl. I watched as a large drop of blood fell onto the coals, making a sizzling sound.

The Dauntless yelled loudly, thumping their feet on the ground and making as much noise as they could. As I walked, I turned to the Erudite group and found my aunt first. She was smiling and politely applauding. She caught my eye, and gave me a nod. I then looked to my parents. They looked shocked, and angry. When they turned their eyes toward me, I flipped them the bird, which made them look appalled. I grinned, mentally saving the image and turned to sit down with the Dauntless.

After I chose Dauntless, the only transfer I noticed was an Amity girl that transferred to Dauntless. She was the same girl that I saw at Abnegation, the day of the test. She had been conflicted when she was choosing, between three different ones by the look of it. I was assuming she was Divergent, but I would need to look into her more to make a definite decision.

As the ceremony ended, the Dauntless began walking towards the door, leading the new initiates. As we got the steps, however, they changed to wild animals, jumping down the stairs and doing flips off them. I followed behind them, running and feeling free, until we eventually came to the train.

I heard the train before I saw it, and by the time I did, we were running along side it and jumping into the cars. I jumped into one of them, pretty well for a fresh transfer, and found myself with five other transfers.

"Hey." One of them said. It was the Amity transfer, the one I suspected of being Divergent. "I'm Bella." The others followed her example, introducing themselves.

There was a Candor transfer named Gaton, an Erudite transfer like myself named Connor, another Candor named Sara, and DJ, also Candor. I didn't introduce myself, instead sitting down next to Bella. It was best to be close to her and see for myself if she was Divergent.

10 minutes later, the Dauntless-born began jumping off the train and onto the roof. I stood up, and jumped off with them, not waiting for the others. By the time they did, I was already in the front of the group and waiting for instruction.

When we were all gathered, the man standing on the end addressed us all.

"My name is Max, I'm one of the leaders of Dauntless. Now, to get to Dauntless, you have to jump off this building." He said, grinning. "Anyone want to go first?" No one stepped forward, so I went up.

"I'll go." I said, stepping up onto the ledge. It was now that I was glad I was wearing loose black pants and a nice blue t-shirt, with black tennis shoes.

I looked down and saw a large hole in the ground, but wasn't able to see anything else. I took a breath and jumped down with my back first. My arms were spread out, and I laughed out, enjoying the rush of energy that I got. Just as I thought I would end up being splattered on the ground, I hit a net, which pulsed around me and through me back in the air slightly. A hand reached out and I grabbed it, letting myself be pulled out of the net. I looked up and saw that it was Eric, but he was now covered in piercings and tattoos.