Chapter 9

When I opened my eyes, I encountered my first fear. Darkness. Not darkness itself, but never finding my way out of it. I feared for my soul.

I immediately closed my eyes and imagined the sun shining over the Erudite houses, lying on the rooftops with Aunt Jeanine during the summer days.

When I opened my eyes, I was in front of three people. A stranger on the left, Aunt Jeanine in the middle, and Eric on the right. This was new. Before, it was only Aunt Jeanine and the stranger, so why was Eric in this?

I grabbed the gun that I knew was beside me and shot the stranger, the scene changing yet again as the bullet pierced the skin on his face.

I then found myself in a room. There was water on the ground, food on the table in front of me, and people milling around. Then the people disappeared, then the food, and then the water started to move outwards, disappearing into the walls. Just as the last drop left, the oxygen in the air disappeared, and I let myself suffocate until the world eventually turned dark.

The scene changed yet again, to a field with hundreds of people standing in front of me. Bella was in the front, and I recognized a few other people. All divergents. There was a gun in my hand.

My finger twitched as I stood still.

"Come on then. Kill us. Isn't that what you've always wanted?" A man said, stepping forward with a women beside him. It was my parents.

"Kill us." My mother added, stepping closer, circling me. I stood still, my eyes fixed straight ahead. I could not move. She stopped in front of me. "Kill me." She whispered.

It was so hard. Too hard. I couldn't stop myself. I couldn't overcome this fear.

The gun was already up before I could comprehend what was happening. People started dropping like dominoes, blood spraying in the air as I spun around and around. And then there was one.

"Air?" Bella whispered, tears falling. I smiled, sharp canines glinting in the light.

"Bye bye." I said in a childish voice, and pulled the trigger.

~•~•~•~•~

They were all staring at me like I was a monster. Eric helped me from the chair, whispering soothing words in my ear. I sighed, just wanting to leave. Then Aunt Jeanine came over.

"Airazela." She smiled, pulling me into a hug.

"Just Air." I muttered, returning the hug. She pulled away and grabbed my shoulders, looking into my eyes.

"Congratulations. How have you been doing Air? You look so different." She asked, looking me over.

"I've been fine." I replied. She guided me over to the viewing area and sat me down next to her, Eric trailing behind.

"Eric's been taking care of you?" She hinted, looking over at him. I scoffed.

"More like I've been taking care of him." I said, watching as he scowled.

"Keep telling yourself that." He muttered.

"I see you've been getting along as well as you had been when you were children. I remember you guys so well, running around and causing chaos in the labs." Aunt Jeanine said nostalgically, motioning for Eric to come sit from where he had been standing. He raised an eyebrow, but did as told and sat across from us.

"That was long ago. We have responsibilities now." Eric replied.

"Oh come on." She began. "I want you two to pull at least one prank while I'm here, and it'd better be good. But moving on to other things." She continued, pulling a folder from her bag. "We have found the divergents."

I looked over her shoulder, going down the list of names.

"Bella Maroon?" She said, asking for details.

"Of course. I know her well, as I had gotten close to her after guessing she was divergent. This only confirms my strong suspicions." I stated

"DJ Levon."

"Also close to me. I wasn't sure about him before, but I guess he hid it well."

"Blake Monstrose."

"Dauntless born." Eric cut in. "He was great in the first part of training, then average in the second. I never would have guessed."

"That's why they're so dangerous." I muttered. Aunt Jeanine smiled sadly at me.

"Elisiana Black. That's the last one." She finished, closing the folder.

"That must be Lisi. She left awhile back, with her boyfriend. They left to the factionless willingly." Eric supplied.

"Not surprising. She had come from Amity, so the pressure must have gotten to her. The whimps." I scoffed. Eric chuckled, agreeing.

"That may not be all of them though, so stay alert. You never know where they might be hiding." Jeanine warned. We nodded.

~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°

Well... I'm sure a lot of you are pissed at me... -_- ... Umm... This is awkward... Hope you enjoyed the chapter???

Amber Silverwood