Preface

Most kids don’t ever have to imagine hurting their parents. I had to live through it.

I pulled the trigger without another thought. In an instant he was toppled over grabbing his injury.

I ran to Gia, helping her onto her feet. “You okay?”

She nodded. “Thanks to you. Should we call the police?”

“You need to get out of here—find your mom—and go.” I ordered, remembering what had just taken place. I was most likely headed to prison, I didn’t want Gia anywhere near that place.

“What are you going to do?” She asked, her lip quivering.

“I’m going to take care of it.” I reached my hands up to her face savoring the soft touch. “I won’t let anything happen to you.”

“Will I ever see you again?” Gia asked, a tear streaming down her face silently.

“I hope so,” I answered and then, even though I was conflicted and knew better, I lowered my lips down to hers in a soft, short kiss.

“Goodbye Jace,” She hugged me tightly then ran off in search of her mother.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket dialing 911.

After the greeting I spoke the incriminating words that would more than likely put me behind bars. “I’m calling to report a shooting. My name is Jace Austin and I just shot my father.”

After hanging up it would be mere minutes before the police came to arrest me. I dialed the only other number I had memorized apart from my own. She answered on the fourth ring. “Jace?” Her voice sounded surprised as I expected it to be.

“I don’t have long to talk but I want you to know that even after everything I still love you—I just want you to hold onto that.”

“Jace,” Peyton’s voice rose unusually high. “What is going on?”

“I shot my father Peyton,” I paused digesting the words myself. “I’m probably going to jail, or worse.”

“What?” I could tell I had Peyton’s full attention then.

“He went after Gia, Peyton, I couldn’t help myself.”

I could feel the pain I inflicted with each mention of Gia’s name. After all, Gia was the reason for my confusion, our space, and time apart.

“I told you…” Peyton said softly. “I told you to go to the police before something like this happened.”

“I know…do you forgive me?” I asked, suddenly realizing my time was running short.

“What?” Peyton asked in an exasperated tone.

“You heard me—would you give me another chance if I ever found a way out of this?”

She swallowed loudly then.

“Jace, you’re scaring me.”

“I’m scaring myself,” I replied honestly.

And then I heard the sirens and caught sight of the approaching lights.

“You’re always going to be my little rock star.” I whispered into the phone as my eyes blurred with tears.

Her wails and sobs on the other side of the phone were going to be seared into my memory forever.

“Freeze! Hands in the air!”

Game over.