Chapter Twenty

The state of the tiny room reminded Chase of Donnie's home. It was messy, and since he didn't feel the urge to sit at the small, dirty table in the middle of the room, he decided to stand and wait. The smell of the place, at least, was more fragrant than Donnie's house. It was inside a restaurant, after all, though it wasn't restaurant clean. He endured the sweltering temperature and odd aromas until Li finally returned and motioned for him to have a seat.

There were a few pieces of equipment on the table. Li, on the opposite side, began typing on a keyboard next to a small boxed display as Chase pulled a chair out to sit. Chase was then instructed to sit straight and look at a small rod Li held in front of his face.

"What's this?" Chase asked.

Li looked at him for a moment and then said flatly, "A camera." He then chuckled to himself, like he'd just made a joke, and Chase realized the man thought he had a knack for sarcasm. Someone should probably set him straight, Chase thought. But it wasn't going to be him.

"Oh, right. Yes, I can see that now," Chase replied smartly.

A younger man came into the room with a tall glass of water and a large plate piled high with noodles and vegetables. He placed it in front of Chase, who instantly felt guilty about making fun of Li, even if it was only in his head. He had forgotten this man might actually be saving him, his brother, and Earth. And Li didn't even know it. For all he knew, he was making some extra cash.

"Oi!" Li shouted as he cuffed the black box next to his keyboard. something wasn't working the way he wanted. It drew Chase from his morbid thoughts, and he reached for the utensils to begin eating.

"Wait!" said Li sternly. "I need your info first." He proceeded to ask for Chase's first name, new last name, and other personal information. Chase said a random last name would be fine. Li keyed in the information. He then worked silently for a few more minutes. It made Chase feel he couldn't start eating, and it tortured him. He was still hungry.

Finally, Li collected his equipment in his arms and stood up to leave. "Now you can eat. I'll come back soon."

Chase was into his plate before Li finished speaking. The clanking of silverware and the occasional sipping of water were the only sounds in the room for the next several minutes. Occasionally, Chase would glance around the room, which forced him to acknowledge that he was truly alone. He hardly ever ate meals without his family. He hated the fact that his family wasn't with him now and would possibly never be again. Especially if he failed.

Now, in this dingy little room, Chase softly placed his fork on the plate when he was finished. The quiet of the moment added to an already growing longing to find Jax and bring his family back together again.

"I'll find you Jax," he said.

Li came back in and delivered the goods just as Chase was sliding his chair away from the table. Li gave him a small ID card and an account number, which he explained to Chase was attached to the ID card as usual. He could use it to pay for anything.

As quick as Chase had found Paira and Li, he was back out into the great corridor, shuffling through the foot traffic on the moon. Re-energized with a full stomach and a legal sense of belonging on the moon, he began to feel empowered. He was ready and prepared to get on with finding his father's friend.

He needed to find a place with computers, as Paira had said, so he peeked inside every shop as he walked down the corridor. He thought about asking someone, but no one in the crowd seemed eagerly willing to help a stranger. They all looked to be on their own, solitary missions, and nobody even made eye contact with him.

This wasn't a very welcoming place. Chase figured that being confined in a sealed structure, unable to go outside, had given these people a sense of being imprisoned. This affected their interactions with other people. They were forced to be in close proximity to each other all the time, so they'd gradually become less friendly.

It was a long, silent walk down the corridor before a glimmer of hope reared its head. Chase spotted a sort of coffee shop where most of the tables had computers, and customers were using them for a variety of tasks.

Ordering coffee was a little nerve-racking for Chase. It was his first time ordering something here, and he didn't know what to expect from the attendant at the register. He also wasn't a coffee drinker, but ordering one seemed to relieve the stress of asking about the computers.

It was a relief to find the attendant was a helpful and cordial woman who gladly explained how to pay for and log on to the computers. Then the moment of truth.

"That'll be four-thirty-five for the coffee please. May I see your ID?" The attendant asked.

He found himself short of breath; he didn't notice until now the two IPAC agents off to the left sitting down. They were having coffee and chatting, a man and woman. Could be on break, Chase thought. But they were wearing their typical gray uniforms with the red stripes on the arms. If there was a problem, they wouldn't hesitate to be on duty in a second.

"Sir?" The attendant caught Chase's attention, pulling him from staring at the agents just as one of the agents, the man happened to glance at him.

"Oh, yes," he said to her. "Sorry. Haven't had my coffee yet. Not really awake." He'd heard his father say that once and thought it was a good excuse here. "Here you go." He handed it to her and told her to use it for payment as well.

Might as well test the whole thing, Chase thought.

She thanked him and slid the ID through the scanner and held onto it as she waited for the payment. After a moment, she glanced up at Chase and then slid it a second time. That time, Chase felt a sting of warning on his chest. Like the marking was poking him to be alert.

She had to slide the ID another time but this time she didn't look at Chase, she looked over at the agents and caught the attention of the female one and nodded.

The symbol on his chest throbbed with warning and all he could think of was to run. The agents stood up.